Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
de Bello Gallico 5.50-51
Hi,
I am new to the world of Roman military webpages. I suspect there are formidable resources here. I have been reading Caesar's de Bello Gallico. 5.50-51 is very interesting to me. I suspect this is a locus classicus among Roman military historians for the interesting and colorful description Caesar gives of the layout and construction of the camp. I find it a little confusing, probably largely because I am not as familiar with Roman military matters as I might be. I would really appreciate the help of some of you. My general sense of the passage is that Caesar is trying to create the impression among the Gauls that he is in disarray and that there is an easy conquest waiting for them in the camp. A key concept that recurs is blocking the gate: "Simul ex omnibus partibus castra altiore vallo muniri portasque obstrui atque in his administrandis rebus quam maxime concursari et cum simulatione agi timoris iubet" (5.50.5). Also: "Ac sic nostros contempserunt ut obstructis in speciem portis singulis ordinibus caespitum, quod ea non posse introrumpere videbantur, alii vallum manu scindere, alii fossas complere inciperent." (5.51.3) The turf in the gates confuses me. Caesar is on the one hand luring the enemy in for his trap by pretending to be very vulnerable but the turf in the gates (and what exactly does "ordinibus caespitum" mean? Layers of cut turf piled high?) would seem to me to indicate to the enemy that the camp was well fortified. Or were such piles of cut turf used as sort of fortification of last resort and if so would the use of them indicate to the enemy that the garrison was in a desperate panicky state? What about that "in speciem" phrase? Why would some cut turf in the gate have made such an impression on the Gauls? Would it have been that difficult to get through? Could it be that Caesar wants to give the Gauls the impression of easy pickings in the camp but that the cut turf technique is used to trick them into engaging in these wall and rampart demolition routines (alii vallum manu scindere etc.) so that he can burst out with his sortie with the cavalry and catch them unawares?

All opinions on this would be welcome, as would any tips on good books or articles on this subject. Vale. T.
Tony Whalen (aka tonyodysseus)
nihil simul inventum et perfectum est. Cicero
Since Romans were usually very aggressive when protecting their camp, I think by blocking the gate, Caesar tried to give impression to Gauls that Romans were afraid of them and would not sally out from camp (like usually). And that way he tried to lure them to attack the camp directly, to put Gauls in very vulnerable position when Romans would suddenly sally out from gates.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
The ramparts of a Roman marching camp were actually built of layers of earth and turf - you can see the same sort of thing illustrated on Trajan's column. The gateways were just gaps in the rampart, entry/exit points that would normally be left open to allow the troops to make sallies against the enemy. These camps were intended to be as much offensive as defensive: the positioning of the gateways relative to the enemy determining the direction of attack. By blocking these gateways with what appears to be a continuous turf wall, therefore, Caesar gives the impression that he is sealing himself in and preparing to withstand a siege - acting purely defensively, out of fear of the enemy. The wall, however, is only built of single piled turfs rather than the thick heap forming the main rampart. When the attackers approach, Caesar's men are able to burst through their fake wall and rush out against them.

I don't really see how this tactic would work in reality - a pile of single turfs would surely not resemble a solid earth rampart! But perhaps Caesar was counting on the reckless impetuosity of the Gauls...

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Did they not have some form of timber gate behind the turfs to support them?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My impression, GJC, has been that they didn't bother with the hinged gates unless they intended to stay in that place for a long time. Otherwise, just a gap, or maybe a gap with a forward separated barrier (so no one could rush straight in) was about it.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I was refering to this instance in particular, Dave. It has been a few years since I read it, so I cannot recall if this was an idea I
picked up from Ceasars commentaries, or perhaps a hangover from a novel I read. I'm sure most will know the one..... :roll:
I read the one right after the other so possibly an invention of the author. :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So things are starting to make more sense to me thanks to the help of all of you. In 5.51.3 the gates are "obstructis" (blocked) "in speciem" (in appearance--but not reality) by the "singulis ordinibus caespitum" (piled single layers of turf). As Nathan Ross points out, the pile of layers of turf would have been light and fragile enough for Caesar's forces to burst through at an opportune moment. The word "singulis" has me a little unsure. At first I thought it might go with portis ("at each one of the gates" or something like that) but as I understood what people were telling me about rampart construction, I think I understood that Caesar here using the word to signify that "only" caespites or pieces of turf were used for this heap. I think the Oxford Latin Dictionary meanings of singuli, -ae, -a numbers 2 or 3 could apply here. Mixing earth into the construction would have bound the structure together and therefore it would have been heavier to move so that it would have been impractical in the construction of a barrier that was intended to be removed at a moment's notice. I've seen rolls of turf when landscapers work and the only earth is that which is attached to the roots of the grass plants. Thanks again. T.
Tony Whalen (aka tonyodysseus)
nihil simul inventum et perfectum est. Cicero
There's an interesting thread here about the construction of turf walls for marching camps:

Medium Roman Marching Camps

I would guess that the Archeolink reconstruction presents an approximation of what the camp in this passage might have looked like. The rampart is an embankment of earth dug (usually) from the surrounding ditch, held together -or faced - with layers of cut turf.

Quoting Robert Wimmers, from that thread:
Quote:The base of the wall would be about 4 meters. The walkway at the top would be about 2 meters, the frontslope being steeper then the backslope. The steeper frontslope is achieved by using the turf sods stacked, at the back, compacted earth will hold its shape as the incline is less, thus being more stable.

This note about the 'frontslope' of the wall might explain what Caesar is describing in the passage: his 'false' wall blocking the gate consists only of the turf facing, without the earthen embankment behind it. Thus 'single' turfs.

Byron's memory of a wooden gate or something might be from a novel - using a sort of wooden frame to pile the turf against is a decent explanation for how the wall is made to look like a solid construction, rather than a wobbly heap of sods!

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Thats exactly what I was thinking Nathan, a lucky shot from a javalin, or a Gual, who came to close impetously, and ran into it, might give the game away
prematurely, before enough were commited for Caesars purpose....but that is only speculative....Then bursting out by heaving the entire sod structure aside,
Allowing the troops to charge out in a good strong formation......
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Imagine their surprise when not only did the presumed solid wall collapse on the front ranks of the attackers, resulting in a big mess and tangle (like when a crowd running is presented with a sudden obstacle), but immediately after comes a volley of pila at extreme close range. It's enough to give a Gaul the heebie-jeebies! Confusedhock: :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "De Bello Civili": infantry attacks cavalry. Some TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 2 2,181 06-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Muzzaguchi