Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invitation for a unique experiment in the High Alps, July
Hi Folks!
We are conducting an experiment in the High Alps from July 25 to August 1st. We will be on the Mallnitzer Tauernpass, close to the Hagener Hütte.
Google Maps
We have an experiment about Roman road construction in the High Alps, and will reconstruct a section of a Roman road on the original foundations, with original tools and methods. We will be accompanied by a camera team from the Bavarian TV, and by a Professor from Vienna. Food and living will be "authentic". We will be the first team ever to reconstruct a Roman road in the High Alps, resp. to have a Roman Alpine road construction site running for a week. In the end we will test a reconstructed Roman cart on our work.

What do you need to participate?
You need an Augustan kit. That is: a wide sleeveless tunic, a cloak (paenula, or sagum with a period fibula), udones (naalbinding), an Augustan belt, Augustan Caligae, Augustan pugio, Augustan gladius, plate, spoon, cup, period pouch or bag, maybe an additional blanket. You DON´T need a helmet or armour.
Food and drink will be provided.

If you want to participate in this extraordinary and IMO wonderful event, please contact me here or via PM. We have two places left.
[Image: xwhagwg2.jpg]
[Image: xeroem1m.jpg]
[Image: xeroem3m.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
That is a great idea Christian, the two places must be filled soon i think by fellow board members.

one question, the sleeveless tunic, on what is that based? i have not yet seen any evidence that Roman Augustan tunics were indeed sleeveless and not the T-shape we see in Imperial ones. Please enlighten me.

Best wishes,

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Indeed a wonderfull experiment. It's a beautiful location, I've been there once on holiday. Too bad I can't join.

Quote:That is a great idea Christian, the two places must be filled soon i think by fellow board members.

one question, the sleeveless tunic, on what is that based? i have not yet seen any evidence that Roman Augustan tunics were indeed sleeveless and not the T-shape we see in Imperial ones. Please enlighten me.

Best wishes,

M.VIB.M.

Almost all evidence points to wide sleeveless tunics, not only for the augustean period, but also for the entire 1st century AD. The short sleeved T-models you see with a lot of reenactors, but luckily a lot are being replaced.

You don't need sleeves. They appear are formed naturally on e wide tunic.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jef, yes, this is a very beatiful place / area Smile I am looking very much forward to the event. Photos of it, the Roman cart, and most probably some of our equipment will be part of an exhibition in the Archäologische Staatssammlung next year.

Noone interested to come ? Sad
Christian K.

Of course I'm interested, but I cannot! Looks like a very interesting project.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanx for the info on the Tunicae, any images on here which show such a sleeveless tunic ?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
again an interesting project , Christian, but I'm not able to attend, I guess. Already have used my days off to go marching with your lads. Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
@ Byron: What!? No holidays left...^^ Pity...
@ Jurjen: Looking so much forward to having you on the march! Smile
Christian K.

Dig carefully!!! You never know what you will find in the Alps. 8)
No Kit...
No Money...
In America...
Love to but unfortunately can't. Sad
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:Thanx for the info on the Tunicae, any images on here which show such a sleeveless tunic ?

M.VIB.M.

You can take a look at Roman Military Clothing I and Roman Military Dress, both by Graham Sumner.

As for reenactors, almost all of our group wear wide, sleeveless tunics.

[Image: malagne2009%20(13).jpg]

[Image: malagne2009%20(12).jpg]

All sleeveless, except for two, can you spot them :-)
[Image: rimburg08%20(3).jpg]
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
What does your Roman cart look like?
I'm in the US, too, and though it would be the trek of a lifetime, I can't attend.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:All sleeveless, except for two, can you spot them :-)
Hmm.. I'd say the guy in white and the guy two men to his left (in the faded red tunic), but I'm not 100% sure beause I can't see them all clearly.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:s9sq51pt Wrote:All sleeveless, except for two, can you spot them :-)
Hmm.. I'd say the guy in white and the guy two men to his left (in the faded red tunic), but I'm not 100% sure beause I can't see them all clearly.

Hi Robert,

The second one starting from the left has sleeves, and the one at the extreme right. All the others are sleeveless. I'm the one in white, and there are no sleeves on that tunic :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
David, the cart is a reconstruction of the one found on the Magdalensberg. A non-functional reco is in Xanten.
Christian K.

Great. Christian, we just made a functional reco of a Travel coach. Would be great to have them one traveling alongside each other Big Grin

[Image: reiswagenCenturio.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM