Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer hide use for a set of lorica segmentata
I'm brand new to the scene and hope I'm not being redundant in asking an opinion on the use of deer hide leather for the straps on a set of segmentata I'm starting. I should be getting the hide back any time now . I have not seen any definitive posts pertaining to it's suitability. In the past the hides seemed to be heavy enough but I wondered about strength and stretching. Any help is appreciated.
Douglas
Of course, since we haven't seen or felt the leather, it is difficult to make any sensible answer. From sewing a number of buckskin shirts and pants, I'd say the deerskins would be quite strong enough, but probably too stretchy, especially along the long grain. You'd be better served by using the deerskin in place of goat, for example, in making bags, pouches, etc., and cowhide or other stiffer-tanned leather for the straps. Even old leather belts from a used clothing store can be used for the straps. After all, the straps are INside the armor when it's done.

Just shots in the dark, though, as I said.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks. Guess it's the gloves I originally had planned for this hide. Maybe a bag or two as you suggested.
Douglas
As Dave said, never use (veg tanned) deerskin for that, too stretchy. And even more so should they ever get wet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,624 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,549 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,319 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola