Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inevitable Football Topic
Quote:What worries me, though, is that football has become something like a big bank: Too Big To Fail. It is no longer just an enjoyable game, but is taking over parts of society.
Agreed. Our natonal Soccer Union KNVB receives an enormous bonus from FIFA even for second place, which i think should go to the taxpayer - after all, it's by stressing that football is beneficial for emplymet and 'society' that local councils defend spending millions of taxpayer's money on failing clubs. Who are, after all, businesses that spend profits on investors, but who come knocking on the door of the bottomless pocket of local authorities when a) they need police protection for yet another 'high-risk match' and b) when they yet again prove to be bad at baklancing their books.

Quote:Building too expensive stadiums next to the slums and not allowing the poor living next to it to sell some souvenirs, is imperialism.
well, at least it's not as bad as people dying from hunger just 500 m from the stadiums, as one honorable member of this forum was overreacting.
Imperialism? I don't know if you can put it that strong - it's a matter of choice, probably influenced by the lure of maney or nationalism. But no-one forced SA to host this event, or penalised them if they would have decided not to. FIFA can be seen as imperialistic, but it does not force world championships on nations.

Quote: A nation that, on a day of collective mourning (Holland, Srebrenica) prefers football acts perversely.
yes, but it's a choice. We do not like to be reminded of Srebrenica, where we stood aside and led people be taken away, insted of making a sacrifice (or calling the attackers bluff). It hurts too much in the light of endless accusations we made towards people acting like this in WW2. Realising that you cannot live up to your ideals as a nation do not go well. So we rather watch sport.

Quote:And yet, it can be beautiful and it should be. But I do not know how we can get back to normalcy - enjoying a good match with friends.
Never. Put that out of your mind. Only when money is no longer an issue, and that will never happen again. Money rules the globe. :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, the Imperialism lies in the fact that a football organisation like FIFA, amongst other misconducts has the apparent possibility to make national states arrest women in orange dressess because there are sponsor contracts in place !!

Thats a disgrace for any democracy. Also, the building of stadiums by a state while promising better jobs and souvenir selling as well as B&B and other promises which then are not even made real is Imperialistic. The Olympics, though lesser in this manner, are also flawed.

Ever since big money took over sports it has downgraded it.

The idea that South Africa would become more stable and united because of this world cup is also ridiculous, since in a few weeks time, mark my words, the problems will still not be resolved or will be worsened.

And i agree fully with Jona that a country choosing football over remembering a very bad act of negligence which cost about 7000 people their lives should be ashamed of itself.

M.VIB .M.

PS: so funny, now the news is full of those disappointed and sad fans feeling sorry for themselves, and tomorrow they will be officially celebrating the football team even though they lost.... Confusedhock:
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote: Well, the Imperialism lies in the fact that a football organisation like FIFA, amongst other misconducts has the apparent possibility to make national states arrest women in orange dressess because there are sponsor contracts in place !!
Thats a disgrace for any democracy.
Sure, but it's by their own choice. I hope our country will never degrade itself by agreeing to change any law for any sports or otherwise commercial event.
Quote:PS: so funny, now the news is full of those disappointed and sad fans feeling sorry for themselves, and tomorrow they will be officially celebrating the football team even though they lost.... Confusedhock:
Why is that funny? You like seeing people sad and disappointed? WEell, that may say more about you than about them I'm afraid.
Also, why is second place so bad? Is it the same as coming last to you? Well, personally I think it's worth a celebration if that makes people happy. Nothing against being happy and celebrating. After all, it's been a generation since we lsat achieved this.

Btw, I'm not a football fan. My son (9) likes to watch it and i enjoy it seeing him enjoying himself. We countered the local vuvuzela by overpowering it with a lituus. :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Congratulatios to Spain, condolences to Holland!

BTW did not see the whole match, but the flying karate kick to the chest...is that a legal move? :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Congratulatios to Spain, condolences to Holland!

BTW did not see the whole match, but the flying karate kick to the chest...is that a legal move? :roll:

Legality is only a matter of apprehension, if you dont get caught its legal ... apparently.

I bear witness to at least three Spaniard diving in the box at the same time looking for a penalty, footballers haver no shame Sad . I was however pleased to see the Dutch taking a corner direct to the opposition goalie as it was unfair to take it as it was a daft back pass which caused it.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Why is that funny? You like seeing people sad and disappointed? WEell, that may say more about you than about them I'm afraid.
Also, why is second place so bad? Is it the same as coming last to you? Well, personally I think it's worth a celebration if that makes people happy. Nothing against being happy and celebrating. After all, it's been a generation since we lsat achieved this.

Btw, I'm not a football fan. My son (9) likes to watch it and i enjoy it seeing him enjoying himself. We countered the local vuvuzela by overpowering it with a lituus. :lol:

It is funny my dear friend because they apparently get emotional about a totally trivial thing, namely a stupid game. They are sharing some incomprehensible mutual feeling which is in its basics fake and perverted. The problem with these national shared emotions is that they can, and often do lead to horrible things.

Mass hysteria is just a small example. I have the same gut wrenching and disgusted feeling when seeing Christian sects all singing and acting silly when they are together *compare EO Jongerendag, as well as when i see the masses which rallied at Neurenberg during the party days of uncle Adolf.

Of course seeing your kids enjoy a game and the general atmosphere is very nice. But the general and underlying sentiments portrayed throughout our cities by adults are those of sheep in a flock looking for leadership, in this case the leadership of the football team by winning.

These emotions are fake, illogical, useless and trivial, to quote my mentor on emotional science:

[Image: spock.jpg]

On the overpowering of the vuvuzela by lituus, well done !!! Tongue

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:It is funny my dear friend because they apparently get emotional about a totally trivial thing, namely a stupid game.
I think here's the knot: it is not stupid. It can be beautiful. That's why people can get excited about it.

I agree with you that many emotions are "fake, illogical, useless and trivial", but that does not mean that you can compare them to the mass meetings of evangelical Christians - whose faith is apparently sincere - or the political meetings in Nuremberg. True, the same mechanisms are at work, but in the final analysis, it is a beautiful game, and misses the profundity of religious faith or the deadly earnestness of political meetings.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:BTW did not see the whole match, but the flying karate kick to the chest...is that a legal move? :roll:
hardly!
No, he should have received red for that. Awful. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
talking about stupidity........ did you see this : ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvo5OHH ... r_embedded

a family of holocaust survivors thought it funny to make a little music video in Auschwitz.

and indeed, the karate kick should have gotten red and suspension.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:143uapod Wrote:BTW did not see the whole match, but the flying karate kick to the chest...is that a legal move? :roll:
hardly!
No, he should have received red for that. Awful. Cry
I thought people here wanted to have gladiator games? Maybe de Jong and Russell Crowe are distant relatives.... :wink: Anyway, it was interesting to see that we Europeans went to back to the typical Roman superstition (regarding Paul's predictions).
--- Marcus F. ---
Sport journalism is usually boring and not very interesting. But this article on Pele and Maradonna I found very impressive.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite football club Decius 41 8,189 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Decius
  San Diego Football Hibernicus 4 1,575 04-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus