Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Caesar\'s Legion by S. Dando-Collins
I picked up this book because the Tenth has always been one of my favorite legions as well as because of my long interest in unit histories. What is the opinion of the scholarly worth of this book? I have found some errors in it, not unusual since those are to be found in almost any book as more information comes to light. My biggest impression is that he holds as fact certain things which are at best debatable. He claims an Hispania origin for Caesar's Tenth which I cannot find corroboration for in any other work much less in ancient histories. He also claims as fact an unbroken lineage between Legio X Fretensis and Caesar's Tenth which many other scholars like Keppie and Webster point out cannot be proven. The information in his book is much like that of other military histories of the Gallic, Civil and early imperial wars but with more detail, but in my opinion that detail is supplied by assumptions transferred into fact by the author. I'd like to know other forum particpant opinions.<br>
<br>
Caesar's Legion by Stephen Dando-Collins<br>
2002 John Wiley and Sons inc, New York, NY, USA<br>
<br>
thanks, Jeff <p></p><i></i>
Hi Jeff,<br>
Have a look in this thread. It's been talked about before. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
...Jasper,<br>
I concur with the other statements. <p></p><i></i>
This belongs in references and reviews i think... <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,444 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
  Caius Trebonius in book Caesar\'s Gallic Wars JeffF 2 2,001 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Last Post: JeffF
  New Book from Dando-Collins: Great Fire of Rome Narukami 25 7,546 08-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Last Post: rononmaximus