Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protest against abolishing Latin on Leiden Univ Diplomas!
Quote:Robert, scientifically in biology, medicine and to a certain degree chemistry, latin is still very important. However, its importance stands in the classroom. Most publications are written in English and in the native language of the author.
I realise that, my comment was merely about the call to do away with Latin. It has its uses.

English is becoming ever more important. I had a visit from three young people from Poland, one of them an archaeologist. I offer translations into german and English, and was mildly surprised at their choice: "English of course"! Big Grin

We should realise that Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, French and I suppose Russian are also spoken by very large groups, also as a second language, and that English is a fringe language in some areas.

I'd say that English might be the 'First Second language', but i'm not sure if that's true, speaking in numbers?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert,

Your explanation in the last sentence makes sense in numbers. It appears odd but really is quite logical
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:At the moment the petition is at 2.807 signatures
3.005 now.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I think you should be able to request the language the Diploma is written in. You paid for it, put time into it, it's yours! Plus it would make sense for students from abroad as they could go back home with a diploma in their respective language.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Sorry Jona, but being an uneducated hick, I find the continued use of Latin to be one way of
reminding me that just because someone is university educated, they were not the origins of education and culture, and it goes a long ways back in history, rather than the most recent class of graduates who are foisted onto the workplace....

Keep the Latin I would say. :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My masters diploma from the University of Leuven (Flanders, Belgium) has two sides, a dutch side and an English side. On the English side there are some latin expressions (like 'magna cum laude'), but he rest is plain English. The dutch side is completely in dutch.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:My masters diploma from the University of Leuven (Flanders, Belgium) has two sides, a dutch side and an English side. On the English side there are some latin expressions (like 'magna cum laude'), but he rest is plain English. The dutch side is completely in dutch.
When I graduated in Leiden, and when I requested this, it was not allowed.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
A bit off topic, but I always found it very strange that in the Netherlands everyone who graduates seems to be called 'doctorandus'.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Also silly is the name for those holding political and factual power in government who are called "Minister"

Tongue

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Also silly is the name for those holding political and factual power in government who are called "Minister"

Tongue

M.VIB.M.

What is this government you speak of, I don't think we have one of those Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Translate "minister" from latin........ you'll laugh... Tongue

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:A bit off topic, but I always found it very strange that in the Netherlands everyone who graduates seems to be called 'doctorandus'.
It just means that you're unsufficiently qualified to became a doctor. Because that's almost everyone at the Dutch universities, and because the people with a Ph.D. are not too intelligent either, the government has recently decided to print the diploma on the boxes of baby food. The advantage is that every baby will immediately be a doctorandus, and the universities can be closed, so we can save a lot of money, and no one will notice anyhow.
Quote:What is this government you speak of, I don't think we have one of those Smile
[Image: smlach010.gif]
I never understand the Belgian system, to be honest. Good luck with your elections next Sunday; ours here in Holland appear to have produced a lot of uncertainty.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote: Good luck with your elections next Sunday; ours here in Holland appear to have produced a lot of uncertainty.

That is because in Holland we have a moronic and totally retarded group of plebes and proles who out of some ridiculous fear of Islam have decided to vote for an extreme right wing politician who probably in the next months will conform to the making of compromises and toning down in order to become part of the establishment...

After which the proles will return to their old voting habits.....

Where have the days gone that just by vis you could sway the voting results to patrician favour...... o tempora o mores !

Which brings me back to the original topic.

The petition now is at : 3.144 signatures including world renowned scholars.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:
MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS:1ggfy75c Wrote:Also silly is the name for those holding political and factual power in government who are called "Minister"
What is this government you speak of, I don't think we have one of those Smile
No, you have two of those, is it not? Three when you count the King as a seperate one.
Quote:A bit off topic, but I always found it very strange that in the Netherlands everyone who graduates seems to be called 'doctorandus'.
Like me. Big Grin wink: I've also used it to great effect when doing business in Germany.
Quote:My masters diploma from the University of Leuven (Flanders, Belgium) has two sides, a dutch side and an English side. On the English side there are some latin expressions (like 'magna cum laude'), but he rest is plain English. The dutch side is completely in dutch.
Now you're just showing off!!!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Jona Lendering:2hf9vmbf Wrote:Good luck with your elections next Sunday; ours here in Holland appear to have produced a lot of uncertainty.
That is because in Holland we have a moronic and totally retarded group of plebes and proles who out of some ridiculous fear of Islam have decided to vote for an extreme right wing politician who probably in the next months will conform to the making of compromises and toning down in order to become part of the establishment...
If you follow the shift in the political landscale you'll find that if you want to avoid problems with extremist Islamics, you vote for a party that will target all alike and create even more. You'll also find that if you want your country to recover from an economic crisis which the whole world attribute for the most part to neo-liberal thinking, you vote for a neo-liberal party.
It's like when you to protect your house from burglars you hire a thief.
Quote:After which the proles will return to their old voting habits.....
Oops, I read 'vomiting habits'... :oops:
Quote:The petition now is at : 3.144 signatures including world renowned scholars.
Hours later, and the score is stalling at 3.148. :?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans