Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amentum
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21386822@N02/2233290460/
A very clear vase scene of an athlete using the amentum.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
...another example of the headless practice javelin in use....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I wonder how accurate the position of his body is. I mean,his right hand is in the middle of the motion towards the release,but his left arm is already pulled back. His body is already twisted to the front. At this position one would expect his right arm to be extended forward to the release point. But perhaps i'm reading too much into the artists depiction. It's just that usually they are very accurate in depicting wrestiling scenes and athletics in general.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
When I explain to my friends just how much can go into throwing something they are at a loss. It would be VERY difficult to render that motion, in still form, with one image and be complete. It's like painting a picture of a kick without any of the preparation or final motions from memory all while the athlete is giving it all he's got. Confusedhock:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
[Image: 58355199.IstanbulArchaeologicalMuseum1212.jpg]
http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/image/58355199
It can't get any clearer than that,can it?
Giannis K. Hoplite
Are you sure they are not just protesting the madness of the never ending fratricidal wars between the ancient Greeks by flashing "peace" signs??? Smile
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Or the other meaning if flashing at someone trying to catch them.... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Or the other meaning if flashing at someone trying to catch them

True! That goes along with the way he's flashing his groin.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
This reminds me of "The Plan" from 10 Things I Hate About You! It was a good plan! Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Ok ok,it can get clearer then! :evil:
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Ok ok,it can get clearer then! :evil:
:lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm bumping this thread up because we are discussing the amentum. I've come across a nice diagram of the release using an atlatl and modified it to show the benefit of the amentum.

[attachment=891]amentumdiagram.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Common was the Amentum/Throwing Loop? rrgg 4 1,943 05-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Old Husker
  Agkyle/amentum - construction geala 13 3,508 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Anonymous