Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uitis
"The centurion’s uniform was adorned with the uitis, a vine-staff wreath worn on the upper left shoulder, signifying disciplined authority."

Anyone have references on this..??

Thanks
Johnny Shumate
New to me. I have heard of the Vitus, or the vine stick...I look forward to responses to your qery.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I mispelled the word Uitis...

It should be Vitis.....

Thanks
Johnny Shumate
I figured that as what you meant, but the decoration on the shoulder is new to me Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve,

I am not quite sure what kind of references you are looking for. The vitis was a staff carried and used by the centurions to enforce their orders. I have never heard about any wreath in this context or that such wreath or the stick itself would be carried on the left shoulder. I would be very surprised if there was any evidence on this.

I would assume that there are many references to the vitis in classical literature but the most impressive is certainly Tacitus' report on the centurion knicknamed "another one" because he used to break his vitis on the backs of the legionaries. There is also a number of depictions of centurions with their staffs, some of which are available here:

[url:wtdhq31y]http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurio[/url]
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
What's the source of your quote, Johnny?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Not sure...
A friend of mine, who is an editor of a magazine, wanted to know if this was fact or fiction...
He came across the quote while editing an article.
Johnny Shumate
As you know, sometimes centurion's hamata was decorated with a torc on the upper chest, which someone who didn't know that donata system might mistake for a twisted vine. Hard to know. I'm not arguing, it was just curiosity that prompted the question. I personally wouldn't spread that idea around too much, as it doesn't ring true. A vitis was just basically a stick of grapevine, afaik.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hit me with your vitus stick, hit me slowly, hit me quick..
Hit me! Hit me! Hit ...meeeee!!

Knew those words had some meaning.... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel