Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frisian Revolt
Last year, a new interpretation was offered of a writing tablet found on an artificial dwelling mound in the country that once belonged to the Greater Frisians. The interesting thing is the date: February 29, immediately after the Frisian Revolt. Assuming that the tablet was found in its primary context, we must assume that in this part of Frisia, the Romans had restored order within a couple of months.

There is additional evidence for this. The fort at Velsen (ancient Flevum?) was attacked, almost certainly in 28, but there were Romans again over there in 35. This suggests that Roman loss of control among the Lesser Frisians was also very temporarily, and Tacitus' account (Annals, 4.72-74) of the events is unreliable.

The text is here; suggestions welcome, although I'm afraid little certaintly can be reached.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
It says the contract was made on that date, but as suggested, could have been made elsewhere.
Unless the contract had been met, you would probably keep it with you if you were moved?
Would be easy to write of tacitius with circumstantial evidence.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel