Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tacitus: The Annals
Question: My translation of this fine work has brought up a few questions in the translation itself. References are made to "company commander" and "knight". While I can pretty much figure out that a company commander is probably the loose (very) translation for a centurion, what the heck is is "knight"?<br>
<br>
Additional translation questions to come as I get further into the work. <p>Marcus Bruttius Romulus<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio III Augusta</p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Some more specific information on where the terms are occurring would be helpful.<br>
<br>
The knight refers probably to an <i> eques</i> in the sense of an equestrian. Originally the <i> ordo equester</i> was the propertied class that supplied the legionary cavalry in the republican era, though later on its members served as officers rather than as gentleman rankers. In the late republican/early imperial period membership of the equestrian order was based on census rating of 400.000 <i> sestertii</i> (= 100.000 <i> denarii</i>). Members were distinguished by their boots, the thin purple stripes on their clothing and the right to wear a gold ring.<br>
<br>
The original texts are available online so a comparison can be made when uncertain of the Latin terms employed.<br>
<br>
Latin texts of Tacitus<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 7/23/02 3:56:20 pm<br></i>
Thanks, Sander...you are correct...I located the passage I was curious about on the web page you referred me to and found that it indeed referrs to the equite in Latin. I am just trying to get things into perspective.<br>
<br>
The passage I was referring to was Book I, passage 29.<br>
<br>
It's a great read, by the way...I haven't had novels this good... <p>[link=pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic]Rules For Posting[/link]

Marcus Bruttius Romulus<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio III Augusta</p><i></i>