Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:I've never heard that before - there was a regiment of "Silver Shields" (Arguraspides), but they were a separate group. I don't see any reason to doubt that the Leukaspides bore shields painted white.

I've read that the "white" helmets of Boeotian cavalry were tinned, I just asumed that the same was true for the Macedonian "white" shields. The color white and silver are often confounded- hence Armes Blanche.

Quote:Well, the shield on the Pydna monument shows no signs of being built out, and it is just such a deeply-dished shield. Could you point out on the Ephesus reliefs where we see a built-out porpax?

The Pydna shield is not very deep, assuming it has the same profile as the others on that monument. The Ephesus shields are not as deep on the inside as they should be given the outer curve. This could simply be a lazy sculptor or a need to not have too much unsupported stone, but might be more. The porpaxes themselves look odd as well, perhaps extended to match the filled region.

By way of loose analogy I present the Kalkhan. Note how similar the fittings are as well. I have read that these shields can be worn on the arm or held in the fist as need be by the way. I think this was the situation with old-style peltasts's shields that have a double strap grip/porpax system.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by PMBardunias - 07-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,730 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,051 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,806 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite