Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
A couple of points:

Based on the tests I did I don't think that the aspis could have been used with a sarissa even if held by just the antilabe. The reason for this became apparent fro the tests: that steep curve, all most all of which occurrs near the edge is a problem. Even to use an antilabe, you'd either have to secure it to the outer curve right up near the rim or make it so long and loose that maneuvering the shield would be very difficult even hanging from a strap. You could of course chop a section out like a Boeotian shield, but I've not seen evidence of this. Though Connolly did suggest that Thebans did just this to use sarissa-type spears pre-Phillip- not likely.

In consolation to Ruben, rims are fine on shields for sarissaphoroi, so small rimmed shields pose no problem and his rimmed version of the Pydna shield would work.

Back on the original topic:

One thing that struck me from this test is that any of the larger diameter peltas require a markedly side-on stance. This is not a problem since most recreations assume this anyway, but it would seem to force sarissaphoroi into the specially close formation attributed to Phillip- inspired by Homer's heroes. Some have puzzled over this or cited it as evidence that hoplites did not form in close order. I think the answer is simply that hoplites faced forward, not sideways, with shields only slightly overlapped. Man and shield governed a lateral spacing that is more than than assumed by sarissaphoroi standing sideways.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by PMBardunias - 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,730 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,051 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,806 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite