Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:No luck in finding the Pergamum image I was looking for. Do you have an image of the actual bronze strip, or simply a line drawing from it? Trust me, I wanted that shield to be rimmed more than you do for my own reasons, but if you analyze it, the chances that it is are slim. First, just from the drawing it is clear that there is an obscured portion where that shield bearer's face should be- right above the shield section in question. Second, if the inner edge of the semicircular motiff were truly the limit of the shield on top, then the shield would have to have a faceted surface, which is unlikely. Third, there are 5 shields of the same type on that strip and only one of them would be this special rimmed type.

The only thing that remains is the drawing, unfortunately; it seems that the original is now lost somewhere in storage. However, working with the image as it was originally published, I have to say that the drawing is quite clear - if you refuse to accept this detail, then you're going to have to throw out the whole plaque. Yes, there is an obscured portion where the bearer's face is, but there are also obscured portions beside the standard, the sarissa carried by the phalangite in the foreground, and a number of other areas in the scene. The excavators clearly omitted details that were not evident, which if anything inspires confidence in the portions which were drawn. Secondly, I don't think that the shield is "faceted," it's simply steeply curved and the raised area is the semicircular decoration in relief shown in profile. And finally, if you actually look at it, all five shields, though being Macedonian shields of about the same size, are different: one has absolutely no rim (second from the right), two have small rims (farthest right and farthest left), one has a larger rim (the one in question), and the morphology of the final one cannot be determined because it is not shown in profile (third from left). So, as I've stated before, these different shields fit in perfectly with the conception of such shields occupying a spectrum of different shapes and sizes, some with no rims, others with small rims, others still with fuller rims.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by MeinPanzer - 06-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,730 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,051 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,806 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite