Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:This is why I enjoy our discussions, you bring in these great sources. I stand corrected as to the relative cost of a shield.

The whole inscription is neat in part because it gives a glimpse of the involvement of arms in a minor festival. The winning archer receives, naturally, a bow and quiver; the winning akontistes, three longchai and a helmet; the winning catapult operator, a helmet and a kontos; the winner of the torch race, a shield.

Quote:I was thinking of Ptolemy's donation, but I can't decide which way to interpret it. On the one hand it speaks to the cost of a pelta, but on the other it may show that the whole panoply must be adopted together in a package and if you want to field sarissaphoroi you have to go all the way. In for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.

I don't think it's an all-or-nothing kind of thing, as there was certainly nothing stopping men with only helmet, shield, and sarissa operating in the phalanx with more heavily armoured men. I think it's just a friendly gesture, ensuring that future phalangites could be equipped with a full panoply - no need for the archons of the league to scrounge around, or to force their men to provide their own cuirasses, for instance. It's certainly not unusual for kings in their benefaction to go above and beyond the request or expectation of the receiving party. For instance, an inscription of around 270 BC records letters sent and received between the city of Cyme and Philetairus, dynast of Pergamum, in which the populace request a number of peltae to arm the populace, and Philetairus contributes hundreds more than requested from his own workshops with which to arm the different tribes.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by MeinPanzer - 06-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,729 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,050 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,803 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite