Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalevala Endangered!!!
I had a thought about the "Kalevala" a year or so back. It is a Finnish Epic much like Beowulf was for the Norse. There is a man in the Karelian Peninsula (I forget his name) that is still able to recite it in prose. I ask if there is anyone in Ancient Warfare or RAT that would record (video/audio) him reciting it in the traditional manner. He is very old and might have passed away already. I watched a documentary on it on PBS or BBC but can't remember what the name was. It is refereed to in another documentary "Lord of the Rings-The Fellowship of the Ring - Beyond the Movie". I would do it myself but I am broke and I cannot walk across the Atlantic. It would be a travesty to lose the chance to do something like this if possible. There are many people here that probably have the means or knowledge to make this happen.
Thanks!
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Have no fear. The Kalevala is alive and well. Big Grin There is a Kalevala Day and a Kalevala Society. Kids still learn it in school, there are still "singing contests", and you can find it performed everywhere from the tiniest village to the largest cities. I saw a guy in the whole Väinämöinen outfit last summer in downtown Helsinki.

I'm not sure what you mean by "recite it in prose," though, as the Kalevala is normally chanted or sung.

Some foreigners have taken to it as well. A British guy won a Kalevala singing contest two(?) years ago (he did it in English!), and there was a newspaper article recently about a Japanese fellow who has become quite adept at the kantele.

Edit: Was Jussi Huovinen who you were thinking of? Here is a video of him performing.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Sweet! It has been awhile since I last had any word on it. I thought prose was singing. Apparently I am wrong. Thank you for this. Jussi was the guy I was talking about. Is there any more places to see, hear or read the Kalevala. I haven't found many books but haven't tried amazon.com yet. I wrote this post after seeing the documentary recently; so please forgive my haste.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb