Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Kunzing Type Pugio
When it comes to this particular topic,i always end up with several different opinions from various people,so,i am rather keen on narrowing down the following range of dates for this weapons usage and i wondered if anyone could tell me,a) When was the latest probable date for its appearence in the Roman military (in the west of the Empire) and,b) After it was officially abandoned,what were the chances of individual soldiers retaining theirs?,and if so,for how long might they have done so?,a couple of odd questions,perhaps,but i really need to sort this out satisfactoraly and any feedback would be most welcome Smile .
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin
I have to admit that I'm not familiar with this particular dagger, but the question of how long a soldier might have had his dagger may well have been for the rest of his life even after his military carrier.

This in my opinion comes from the fact that so many daggers and the scabbards are so decorative, that they were owned by the soldier who would have decided to sell it on or keep it for protection after being a trooper. For much of the workmanship on them appears to be of a personal and private nature where the man has spent his money on the decoration.
Brian Stobbs
I believe that the deposit of ca 50 daggers of this type at Künzing dates to approx. 250 AD (latest coin Gordian III, 242/244) and is traditionally associated with the fall of the limes in 259/260 AD.

Reuter, M., 1999, Späte Militärdolche vom Typ Kuenzing. Anmerkungen zur Datierung und Verbreitung, in: JRMES 10, 121-124, Ubl, H.J., 1994, Wann verschwand der Dolch vom römischen Militaerguertel in: -Carnap-Bornheim, C. v. (Hrsg.), 1994; Beiträge zu römischer und barbarischer Bewaffnung in den ersten vier nachchristlichen Jahrhunderten. Akten des 2. Internationalen Kolloquiums in Marburg a. d. Lahn, 20. bis 24. Februar 1994, Lublin/Marburg, 137-144 and Fischer, T. 1991: 'Zwei neue Metallsammelfunde aus Künzing/Quintana (Lkr. Deggendorf, Niederbayern)' in Spurensuche. Festschrift für Hans-Jörg Kellner zum 70. Geburtstag, Kallmünz, 125-75 argue that these daggers represent outdated equipment which had been taken away from the soldiers and stored in the principia.

However, their explanations appear too schematic to me and in my opinion this large deposit could just as well be explained by the fact that Künzing may have served some sort of special function with respect to the production or repair of daggers.

Without having conducted any specific research into this matter, I am not aware of any daggers of this type which would be dated much after the deposit from Künzing. But given the life span of such an item, I have no problem with accepting their continued use into the last quarter of the 3rd century AD.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Many thanks for the replies! Big Grin ,hopefully,with this one now sorted out,i can get round to tackling some of the other "headaches" that have built up in the meantime,however,thanks again for the help,it's one less problem to worry about...
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Must know pugio type. VolseniMack 5 306 07-15-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  What Type of Pugio's Are needed? Pointer 21 4,879 05-20-2017, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Kunzing 3rd C greaves markusaurelius 2 1,579 03-17-2012, 04:33 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius