Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructed Persian weapons
It is 500 to 490 BC so it might well represent the the battle of Marathon.
Herodotos in Marathon speaks only of the Sakes (plural) - most probably Saka.
Greeks probably knew the difference "high hat Saka" and "khaoma drinker Saka" of the Persians
But i feel these guys are Persians based on the very stylized depiction of the "fallen tiara"

Kind regards
Thanks for the date.
I don't think there is anything that points these out as Persian, they look very much like the typical Greek depiction of a Skythian.
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com
Is a mater of interpretation of course but since I have seen lots of Scythians in contemporary art (550 to 480) I am invlined to think that the
"stylisized" hats here depict the "side-thrown" Persian tiara even if the rest of the clothes look very Scythian.
Kind regards
Hello,

Marvelous discussion. Thanks for all the insights. Please pardon my ignorance on these matters but what ever happened to the interpretation of the Sagaris being mounted transverse, or sideways? And what happened to the Wicker Gerron (gerra if you prefer Xenophon's terminology) shield?

My thoughts on the Persian helmet confusion are that perhaps they wore the sort of crown/semi helmet that the Assyrian nobles are often depicted as wearing. This would easily be unseen under the tiara/hood, and could eventually be blured into the more modern definition of a tiara. But I have always left open to possibility that they did not have helmets at all as Herodotus mentions the 'soft skulled' persians if memory serves and this could be viewed as meaning helmetless.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Hi again. There's a sale on at Tandy's this month and I'd like to go ahead and make my gorytos. Anyone can tell me what's the minimum weight of leather that would be sufficient?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/