Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here from Australia?
There is a small chance I may be living there for a year, maybe two. But I need to do some major research before going....anyone from there that won't mind 100 questions? <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Nothing happens to any man, which he is not formed by nature to bear."<br>
<br>
- Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>
Matt, I received a newsletter once from the Aussie Romans. Pretty wild stuff, steel sword battles with equally drunk barbarians in the outback. Not public displays, just real, "tactical situation" battles just for their own pleasure. The theme of the event had something to do with the "beer God". It seems the farther away from ESG "ground zero" , the less inhibited Roman reenactors become. These seem to be as uninhibited as you can get, and they probably have the most fun too!<br>
<br>
if you go, and can bring them back, I'll trade good Roman gear for certain Australian reptiles.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
<br>
<br>
Aren't most of the reptiles over there poisonous?<br>
<br>
Do you have a url or an email for that aussie group? <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
<br>
<br>
- Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
Matt,<br>
I think there is an Australian joke about virtually everything you might touch in the outback or in the water either being poisonous or similarly life-threatening. And there is a certain degree of truth in it.<br>
<br>
But no, Australia is famous for some of the world's most desirable and sought after lizards, especially monitors (Varanus), none of which are poisonous. Then too, it would be great to get a small salt water croc. That might be even more fun than the Nile Croc I raised for ten years before being confiscated by the German authorities. He's probably 15 feet long by now.<br>
<br>
I'll try to find the Aussie Roman newsletter, but haven't seen it in a long time. Isn't there a listing done by a RAT member of all the world's known Roman groups?<br>
<br>
Dan<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Dan, ever thinking of touring with the Crocodile Hunter?<br>
<br>
I'll check the legio XX site of links. See what I can come up with. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
<br>
<br>
- Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
Avete, omnes!<br>
<br>
Well, there is of course our brothers the 'other Hispana' who style themselves as LEGIO VIIII - great bunch of folks...<br>
<br>
www.geocities.com/Athens/.../index.htm<br>
<br>
We got to meet Wayne Robinson a few years ago when he was in San Diego on business.<br>
<br>
Oh yerah - they fight, too!<br>
<br>
Scy. <p>Hipsters, Flipsters, and Finger-Poppin' Daddies, Knock me your lobes!<br>
I came here to lay Caesar out, Not to hip you to him.<br>
The bad jazz that a cat blows, Wails long after he's cut out.<br>
The groovy, is often stashed with their frames, So don't put Caesar down........'<br>
</p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Hi Tiberius,<br>
<br>
I am not a reenactor (nor I am I an Aussie - a kiwi living in a hostile land) but I am living in Sydney and would be happy to answer any questions I can about this country and its facilities (that makes it sound like the penal colony it once was). Alexander the Great looks set to begin shooting here in a town called Broken Hill - provided the aussie govt can provide 500 cavalry who are trainable as companions.<br>
<br>
Anyway, shoot or off site at [email protected] <br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi / Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
g'day<br>
yep im an aussie - i dunbno the reinacting group out here - but i wanna get in contact with them if anyone knows how. not really a full reinactor but totally intrested.<br>
yeah virtually all our snakes are dangerous, a few of the lizards will give u nasty bites or scratches.<br>
im wishing we do get alexander the great filmed out here - as they'll need extras - and when they do, im there.<br>
<br>
anything u wanna know - ask away <p></p><i></i>
Matt,<br>
I'm another Aussie who would be happy to answer questions from a prospective visitor/resident..<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
Australis/Ian. <p></p><i></i>
I remember an Australis Marius from a long time ago in a long gone site about roman history..<br>
Someone came in asking if there was any seventh day adventist around and he replied that "no, we threw the last one to the lions yesterday".<br>
Good old days...<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Different Australis but similar sentiment (especially on a Saturday after nightshift duty).<br>
<br>
(the other) Australis. <p></p><i></i>
Matt,<br>
<br>
I'm an Aussie and was involved with re-enactment here for many years, though not these days. I'm still in touch with most of the older hardcore re-enactors, many of whom do some small scale, but high quality ancients re-enactment these days, having been involved with ECW and Medieval stuff in the past.<br>
<br>
You can find all the contacts you could ever want on the [url=http://members.iinet.net.au/~cryanaj/arlho/" target="top]The Australasian Register of Living History Organisations[/url], which has an extensive listing of [url=http://members.iinet.net.au/~cryanaj/arlho/arl_anc.html" target="top]Ancient and Medieval Groups[/url] here.<br>
<br>
Rest assured that virtually no groups operate in "the outback", since almost all Australians live in the cities on the coast and "the outback" is in the virtually unpopulated semi-arid or desert inland. Not a great place for marching around in armour (ask Crassus). There are plenty of snakes here, but you usually only see them briefly as they try to get as far away from you as possible.<br>
<br>
Aussie re-enactors do use (blunted) steel weapons in combat, and this includes the Ancients guys. The idea of having weapons and not using them strikes us as odd and the idea of using duct-tape wrapped rattan or swords covered in felt strikes us as hilarious and good for comedy value only.<br>
<br>
Feel free to ask any other questions about re-enactment here or about Australia in general - I'd be happy to answer.<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
PS Where will you be based? <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>
<br>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong