Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dacians weapons
does somebody have an idea where to get a copy of a correct rhomphaia or Dacian sica?

tnx!
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Dacia?

Just Kidding!!! I will try to help.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transylvan ... ory_Museum

I hope this can help.It is all I have found so far. There is at least one Roman group that has a falxman. You can find him in some reenactment pics from Legio XX. They have a home page. I do not know how to contact him personally but try to contact the group.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

If we're talking about a Dacian falx I know there was a thread(or several) a while back. I remember big, long discussions and pictures of reconstructions. Yes, Legio xx has a guy weilding one and splitting things with it. Maybe someone can find the m or try the search feature. Good luck!
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Lepidus already has a big, mean falx :wink:

It's the sica and romphalia he's asking about.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Most of what I have gathered is that the Sica was a knife or shortsword and the Rhomphaia was a longer, straighter version of the Falx. I am no expert but the similarity in description of the Sica to me resembles the sidearm of the Macedonian Infantry the "Machaira" from Osprey's "Macedonian Warrior - Alexander's Elite Infantrymen". The Rhomphaia was a straight handled scythe apparently altered from farming equipment and standardized as Dacian weaponry. Again I am no expert so please excuse any mistakes and I welcome corrections.
Craig Bellofatto

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacians Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 15 4,215 05-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake