Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News clips that are interesting
Sponges are us? Confusedhock:

[url:1f2r41zl]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100806/wl_asia_afp/australiasciencegeneticssponge[/url]
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:The Hunley (Confederate Submarine during the American Civil War)
[url:3idce85d]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100806/ap_on_re_us/us_confederate_submarine[/url]
That is indeed interesting!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Neanderthal Family Quarters

[url:10ht61e9]http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/neanderthal-bedroom-house.html[/url]
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Bison kill Zone found in Montana.

[url:3spnpo4k]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100808/ap_on_re_us/us_bison_kill_site[/url]
Craig Bellofatto

Here is one that I find particularly disturbing, my father is a missionary worker and has never meant harm to anyone.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100808/ap_ ... an_victims

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:Here is one that I find particularly disturbing, my father is a missionary worker and has never meant harm to anyone.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100808/ap_ ... an_victims
I was also shocked to read about it.
Jona Lendering
My website
Wow, that is indeed tragic Cry

Honestly, if they were missionaries who were actually trying to convert people to Christianity, I could at least understand the affront to Afghan identity. But this just seemed like some people who were trying to provide tangible help to impoverished people. Of course it could just as easily be a "cover story" by the Taliban; they might have just been civilian bystanders and been killed in one of the frequent flare-ups, and whammo, the Taliban takes credit for their deaths, saying these guys were trying to convert people. Of course, just as likely, they were targeted for just being there to begin with.

How sad Sad
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)
Quote:Of course, just as likely, they were targeted for just being there to begin with.
Of course. This is the Taliban we're speaking of and they have made no secret of it that every non-Muslim foreigner to them is an enemy that they will deal with without mercy.
I have the utmost respect for those who, knowing this, still dare to risk their lives bringing relief to the suffering population of Afghanistan.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Wow, that is indeed tragic Cry

Honestly, if they were missionaries who were actually trying to convert people to Christianity, I could at least understand the affront to Afghan identity. But this just seemed like some people who were trying to provide tangible help to impoverished people. Of course it could just as easily be a "cover story" by the Taliban; they might have just been civilian bystanders and been killed in one of the frequent flare-ups, and whammo, the Taliban takes credit for their deaths, saying these guys were trying to convert people. Of course, just as likely, they were targeted for just being there to begin with.

How sad Sad

The driver of the van was able to save himself by reciting Muslim scripture, these people were slain execution style, including one British woman who had walked away from her career to help those in need. The party consisted of mostly Christians but there was at least the one Muslim gentelman, in other words this was simply an effort to help the impoverished by members of both faiths.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:
Phaichtos:19zw91ip Wrote:Of course, just as likely, they were targeted for just being there to begin with.
Of course. This is the Taliban we're speaking of and they have made no secret of it that every non-Muslim foreigner to them is an enemy that they will deal with without mercy.
I have the utmost respect for those who, knowing this, still dare to risk their lives bringing relief to the suffering population of Afghanistan.

Definitely. What I meant was that groups like the Taliban tend to "take credit" for anything bad that happens whether they *actually* had anything to do with it or not. "Looking worse" makes them "look better", you know? In the end I guess it doesn't matter too much though, because either way a bunch of innocent people are still dead, but..

Finally! Archaeology can be useful!
[url:3dc32fq0]http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=39424[/url]
Jona Lendering
My website
I'll drink to that! :wink:
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Nice!
Craig Bellofatto

:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome!

When opened a ceremonial libation poured to Sir Ernest Shackleton and crew wouldn't be a bad idea.
Craig Bellofatto