Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax based off Alexander Mosaic
It has always been a dream of mine to construct a linothorax based off the one Alexander wears in the famous Alexander Mosaic from Pompeii. The first linothorax I made was only loosely based off Alexander's and mostly because of monetary reasons. This time around I was able to invest a bit more money in the materials. It took me quite a while to find the items and materials I was looking for; some were a perfect match while others were as close as I could get. Overall I am very happy with the end product and feel satisfied I have accomplished a goal of mine that began close to five years ago. Here are a few views of the finished Alexander Mosaic linothorax:
Scott B.
That looks great! Very interesting how you approached the task of creating the shoulder pteruges Smile

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Excellent attention to detail! Envy rears it ugly head. I have seen the picture a hundred times and never noticed the central face. How does it wear in motion? How many layers of material? How much did it cost? Sorry! very cuirass :lol:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:Excellent attention to detail! Envy rears it ugly head. I have seen the picture a hundred times and never noticed the central face. How does it wear in motion? How many layers of material? How much did it cost? Sorry! very cuirass :lol:

Thank you! The face is a little funny. I wish the mosaic artist would have made it a bit more fierce looking. Oh well...

It is very comfortable to wear and moves with me. I can run, jump, leap, bend down without hindrance. The main body is 14 layers thick and the shoulder piece is 15; both are made from laminating linen cloth. The cost was a bit tricky to figure out. Making the most accurate estimate, I would say around $210 (US dollars).
Scott B.
My estimates for a 9 layer runs me at $180 US; so not far off. What is the kind of glue you used?
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Quote:My estimates for a 9 layer runs me at $180 US; so not far off. What is the kind of glue you used?

For this one I just used Elmer's glue. I wasn't going for authenticity too much in the overall construction. I've made other sets of armor using rabbit glue, but for what I was trying to achieve I didn't think it was necessary for this one. When all was said and done I used about a gallon and a half of Elmer's glue.
Scott B.
Okay. I know it isn't very historical but I made test bracers with carpet glue.
Craig Bellofatto

Sharp looking lino! I'd love a pic of someone wearing it!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Yep,good work! I'd also like a photo of it worn!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Sweet! Great work!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Ask and you shall receive...
Scott B.
Fits very nicely!Now you also need to update your helm :wink:
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Fits very nicely!Now you also need to update your helm :wink:
Khaire
Giannis

Ah yes, very true. :oops:

What I want is something like this (it's my friend's helmet):
Scott B.
No need for shame! Everything in its time. I know very well how long it can take to own the equipment you want. And when you can't make it yourself it takes even longer.
That helmet was an interesting reproduction of Alexander's helmet. Do you have any idea what's made of? If it was brass i would let the original colour. After all,traces of colour on the sarcophagus show that it was painted yellow,either for bronze or a real lion's skin.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Where did he get it made? Or is it the Deepeeka version tricked out?
Peter Raftos