Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book for high school class
I'm currently working on writing up a proposal for an elective course for ancient warfare in the school where I teach. One of the requirements is to have some type of "textbook"(textbook in the generic sense, but it be any book for this class that would cover the content). Obviously Rome will have a significant chunk in the course so I'm looking for ideas of a book that would be a good overview of ancient warfare. The only one that has come to mind is Delbruck thus far. Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
I hesitate to say that I have not read Delbruck, but if I wanted to light up a high school Ancient Warfare course I'd use John Warry's "Warfare in the Classical World". Now, generally I feel that Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War" is a much better book in most respects, but he spends an<br>
AWFUL big chunk on Hannibal, dissecting his route through the Alps WAY too thoroughly. Warry's book is smaller, less expensive, and actually covers a slightly wider range (Bronze Age to the Huns). And like Connolly it is lavishly illustrated. However, if it's depth of analysis you want, on subjects like the structure of the phalanx or the early Roman legion, Connolly is hard to beat.<br>
<br>
Books of this sort might not be the rule in most schools, but they should be! Why should they be all dry text, with one or two awful Victorian prints of a soldier? Warry and Connolly will SHOW your students what things were like very vividly, and the students are far more likely to remember what they have learned, and where they learned it.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX<br>
<br>
PS: Don't forget to bring in some reenactors for "show and tell" sometimes!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks for the information. I'm trying to keep the cost of the books low so I can purchase a class set and lower cost makes the whole concept more attractive. The end of your message say legio XX; are you in the Baltimore/DC area? I thought I had received another message from someone else saying so.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>
Yes indeed we are.<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?