Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman navy
Hi

Have a question regarding the Roman navy . The Classis Misenensis & Classis Ravennatis were called "Praetorian". This was awarded by Vespasian in 69 AD. Does this mean that they had the right to wear the scorpio like the other Praetorian Guard units ?

Legio I Adiutrix was formed in 68 AD out of marines from the Classis Misenensis. Legio II Adiutrix was in 70 AD formed by Vespasian out of the Classis Ravennatis. Since the parent units were called "Praetorian", did these legions get this right too and did they had the right to wear the scorpio too?

tnx!
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Hi Yves
As to your first question, I think we can safely say the evidence is completely lacking. Might have been, might not have been. However, though the status of the Italic fleets was definitely higher than that of the other fleets, it was nowhere near the status of the Praetorian guard, and I very much doubt that any emperor would have wanted to mess with the jealousies of that unit.
The legiones Adiutrices are never called Praetoria.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navy Reenactment - Late Roman? Nathan Ross 14 7,676 01-16-2016, 02:37 AM
Last Post: lukeuedasarson
  Slave Rowers in the Roman Navy Stackferret 0 1,138 07-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Stackferret
  Roman Navy - Question on port buildings or "ship sheds" Porcus Chopicus 6 1,767 03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis