Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The demise of my reports is greatly exaggerated
Sometimes you write stuff and it disappears into a sort of hyperspace where time ceases to exist, only to emerge (like the Enterprise into the carnage around Vulcan) some time later, all fresh-faced and blinking, into a totally changed and debris-cluttered universe.

Two of my reports have recently done just this, winking back into existence; one I have, the other I only have reports of sightings (albeit by plausible witnesses) as a comfort.

First comes the Housesteads report. This was the last thing I worked on at Newcastle for EH before I became self-employed (in 1989!) and it has taken all this time for it to stagger into existence. It was actually finished several years ago (when I left, all it really needed was a good edit and some conclusions written, but Charles Daniels' death complicated things), and a lot of umming and ahhhing ensued on the part of EH. I can't even tell now what bits I wrote; all I know is portions of the structural descriptions are mine; drips in a puddle of scholarship ;-) ) A two-volume paperback report, and costing a jaw-dropping £100 (more even than the ridiculously overpriced Blackwell Companion to the Roman Army), it looks on the outside like the EH reports of old (Corbridge or Birdoswald) but inside... oh dear. Not a good advertisement for POD. Given all the time and skill the illustrators put into the plans and line drawings, having it produced on what appears to be 80gsm photocopy paper (which does the halftones no favours either) is ridiculous. Okay, rant over...

Second is (allegedly - I haven't seen it yet; didn't even see page proofs) the second volume of the Carlisle Millennium report containing my report on the armour, as well as all the other finds. Can't say much more than that, really, other than it is hardback and a quarter of the price of the Housesteads report. Go figure...

Rushworth, Alan (2009). Housesteads Roman Fort: The Grandest Station. Swindon: English Heritage. ISBN 9781848020269

Howard-Davis, C. (2010). The Carlisle Millennium Project: Excavations in Carlisle, 1998-2001, Volume 2: The Finds. Oxford: Oxford Archaeology. ISBN 9780904220575

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
OOOOOH>......... any chance of securing royalties still ?

would be the proper thing to do for them i think..

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
You deserve laudes just for the title of this thread.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
OH! I'd pretty much given up hope of seeing the Carlisle stuff published! Have to put that on my Christmas list. Thanks muchly!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:OH! I'd pretty much given up hope of seeing the Carlisle stuff published!
After only 9 years?! Shame on you. If you want to talk about giving up hope, try Bearsden Roman Fort, excavated 1973-1980. Report? What report?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Matthew Amt:1mvxvro4 Wrote:OH! I'd pretty much given up hope of seeing the Carlisle stuff published!
After only 9 years?! Shame on you. If you want to talk about giving up hope, try Bearsden Roman Fort, excavated 1973-1980. Report? What report?

You'd have thought the Chief Inspector of Ancient Monuments would have given the culprit a sound thumping, wouldn't you? ;-) )

To be fair to Carlisle, it had to endure the collapse of the original excavating unit and the project being taken over by Oxford Archaeology North and seen through publication (which they did pretty efficiently). It was a big and very complex site and there is a whole shed-load of smaller, simpler sites that remain unpublished and show no signs of emerging (that being said, I note John Dore's publication of John Gillam's work at Halton Chesters is being advertised).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Mike. I've ordered the Carlisle book from Oxbow. As for the Housesteads book, I'll wait for the film....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CBA Reports Robert Vermaat 0 1,335 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat