Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient elections
Mary Beard has had a couple posts about ancient elections recently. In Roman Election Gaffs she mentions her favourite election blunder:

Quote: It's the one about Scipio Nasica who was standing for the Aedileship in the very late third or early second century BC, and canvassing eagerly and shaking the hands of potential voters. He shook the hand of a peasant farmer, which was very horny. "What" said the toff, "do you walk on these".

It was taken as an insult to the honest Roman peasant and he lost the election.

Then she had another about ostracism in ancient Athens.

I had no idea that this was where the term “ostracism” comes from.

Quote: Every year from the beginning of the fifth century BC, the Athenians were asked if they wanted to hold an ostracism. If they voted yes, then another vote followed in which people scratched the name of the politician they wanted to get rid of on a piece of pottery (an "ostrakon").
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
How about an honest politician :!: :!: :!: Confusedhock:
Yes one existed. Confusedhock:
Aristides vs Themistokles.
The issue was do we built triremes or not?
If the ships project was to happen Aristides had to be exiled.
He was walking among the crowds were an uncouth fellow asked him:
"Ye know writing?" "Yes", answered Aristides.
"Then write me Aristides name on it" said the fellow
"Have you been wronged in any way by Aristides?" asked the politician.
"Nah!! I am just pissed off that everyone is calling him the Just Aristides" :!:
Aristides took the ostrakon and wrote his name on it.
He was exiled in the end. Sad

Hardly surprising there are no honest politicians any more :twisted:

Kind regards
That's a good one.

I guess Valerius Maximus has a section in his book about election defeats. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of it, though.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
There is an essay called the Commentariolum Petitionis by Quintus Cicero, I'm trying to find an English translation of it online but not having any luck. It's basically a primer on how to win elections, with suggestions such as:

"If it can be managed at all, that there should be scandalous talk of character, about the crimes, lusts, and briberies of your competitors."
It's available at Perseus.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Awesome, thanks!