Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ornatrix portrayal
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well.

I have finally plucked up the courage to come out of my 're-enactor closet' and am presenting a demonstration of Roman cosmetics for a forthcoming event at Wall, Lichfield in July. I have been slowly (due to finances) collecting various cosmetic implements and ingredients for my display, and as part of this I will be transforming another volunteer into a well heeled Roman lady of the Flavian era (Lady Drusilla). Initially I was going to be in modern dress, but have decided it would look better if I dressed as an ornatrix (typical! I end up as a slave :x ).
I have the Flavian lady's outfit and hairpiece sorted and am currently working on it (thanks to Deborah Wink for the amazing advice regarding this!) However I am not sure how to portray the ornatrix. I have some plain beige linen-type material which I was going to make into a long belted chiton and wear another plain undertunic beneath. I don't want to look too 'shabby' as this would reflect badly on my 'domina Lady Drusilla's' social image :lol: but I want to make the status between the ornatrix and the Lady fairly obvious to the public by the comparison of my undyed, plain clothes with her nicely coloured ones.
Would this be a correct portrayal ? Or would a Romano-British house slave typically have worn a long plain unbelted long sleeved 'gallic' tunic ? :?

Any advice ?

Thanks!
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Ornatrix portrayal part II- the cosmetics

I have a wonderful range of implements- spatulas, glass rods, glass flasks, an rather cute unguentaria, some oyster shells for mixing and hairpins and I am working on some brushes and a comb. I have a bath set including a strigil and oil flask. I would have loved a woad grinder, and that's next on my wish list. I also have a bronze cosmetic implement which I bought from Steve Wagstaff which you use to crush the ingredients with one end on a slab of marble and apply with the tip of the instrument- I cannot remember what this is called- does anyone know ? :oops:
I have a range of ingredients so far- chalk, red ochre, saffron, various oils, sheeps wool, kohl (substitute), malachite (substitute)- due to H&S. Most ingredients are for display, I won't be putting anything dodgy on anyone.
I've been experimenting with Roman face whiteners using safer ingredients- zinc oxide instead of lead or tin, animal fat and starch and it gave a good result except the animal fat brought me out in a mass of zits, this led to a revelation though, as when I applied Sudacream to the spots, I discovered it gave an effect identical to the Roman face cream, a nice whitening effect with a subtle pearlescent sheen when applied lightly. The main ingredients of Sudacream are zinc oxide (pigment), paraffin (oil) and a starch like material. It also has the added bonus of a lavender fragrance. It's cheap and antiseptic too.
Does anyone here have any other suggestions regarding ingredients or perfumes
I have been overwhelmed by the help and advice given to me by other Roman reenacters with this when I attended TORM this year. Thanks to all! XX
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3rd Century AD portrayal Fhyn 11 3,399 04-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Crispvs