Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon: "Rome\'s Wars in Parthia"
Has anyone seen this one? Published back in January:

Rome's Wars in Parthia: Blood in the Sand

The author appears to be a US army colonel and head of the Department of History at Virginia Military Institute; her previous books deal with Roman and 'Biblical' espionage activities.

The front flap (from the Amazon preview) states that "there has been no detailed study of the individual wars Rome fought against Parthia from the military perspective'. Not sure if this is true, but it would be an interesting book, perhaps, if it aimed to do that. There would seem, however, to be a pretty heavy focus on comparison between Roman invasions of Parthia and the 2003 invasion of Iraq - not a massively useful approach, IMO!

The index lists 'Archeological evidence' only once, but 'Saddam Hussein' twice. Also 'Rumsfeld, Donald', 'Political influence operations' and 'Full-spectrum dominance' (whatever they might be!). Rather suggestive of :x

Still - initial impression might be wrong...

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Yes, I am partially through it , but have been side tracked to a couple of other books too.
Those comparisons to modern events kind of distract from the book to start with, but overall, the
effect is minimal.
While I haven't finished it, it certainly covers the issues in a well thought out way, and in great detail.
Very informative I would say(but then I would, not being an expert on the subject.
Will add a couple of thoughts once I get back to it though..will probably start over from the start.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Can it come close to the wonderfully evocative and thoroughly readable 'Rome on the Euphrates' by the 1930s travel writer/historian Freya Stark?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I don't know, but it is informative. It certainly is helping to fill in some large gaps in my knowledge.
But I have to admit, that would not be dificult.......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome and parthia book Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,190 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  The Crisis of Rome: The Jugurthine Wars and the Rise of Mari Gaius Julius Caesar 0 1,241 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Rome\'s Gothic Wars: From the Third Century to Alaric Ioannis 2 1,460 05-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Ioannis