Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tripoli Museum Mosaic
My apologies if folks have already seen this mosaic but I saw it here in Libya at the weekend and thought it was magnificent!

[Image: DSCF0740.jpg]

Some close ups of the border:

[Image: DSCF0721.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0722.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0725.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
A few more.....

[Image: DSCF0720.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0738.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0732.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Indeed a wonderful one. Many thanks for posting.
ALA I BATAVORUM
That's from the Villa Dar Buc Ammera. There's more here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Great stuff, thanks Jona. Did you take a step ladder with you to get those great photographs :?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Those are great. I adore Roman mosaics. I just saw a documentary on the History Channel about Roman ruins and mosaics in Libya.

Hey Jona, in your link you mention:
Quote:... it is known that in the 70's of the first century, a man from Lepcis travelled all the way across the Sahara to look for unusual animals to be killed in the arena.

That's interesting. Do you have any more information on this travelling animal hunter, or others like him?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:
Quote:... it is known that in the 70's of the first century, a man from Lepcis travelled all the way across the Sahara to look for unusual animals to be killed in the arena.
That's interesting. Do you have any more information on this travelling animal hunter, or others like him?
Yes, he was probably one of the ancestors of Septimius Severus, he is mentioned by Ptolemy of Alexandria (more...), and I have no access to the book in which I've read it, because there are construction workers in my house.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Very much appreciated.
This is one of the few depictions of most gladiator types in full color.

Sadly the Provocators on this one seem to be quite elusive as they are seldom shown completely.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Nice pics!
Damned place is closed every time I go to visit it.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
This was my sixth attempt (the previous five all failed!) to visit the museum so I know how you feel. Saturday morning seems good - it does not open on Fridays unfortunately.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Out again next week so I'll give it another go.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Very much appreciated.
This is one of the few depictions of most gladiator types in full color.

Sadly the Provocators on this one seem to be quite elusive as they are seldom shown completely.

I've wondered about this myself. Most books and websites showing this mosaic use an old photograph in which the provocator on the right is eliminated. For years, the only complete picture I had was a very small one from an old Time-Life book on the romans. And they are such fascinating provocators, too: the "trousers" are clearly shown, and these are the only provocators in art to have crests on their helmets, and they are huge crests, too. The essedarii are more clearly depicted than usual, too.
Pecunia non olet