Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causes of the Bar Kochba Revolt
Here is an interesting article; the author proves that the foundation of Aelia Capitolina antedated the Bar Kochba Revolt. He is not the first to do so, but his arguments seem conclusive.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
That certainly turn things upside down then....Hadrians fit of pique was malignent slander then?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That certainly turn things upside down then...
No, this interpretation is already quite old; Gedaliah Alon already wrote this; his book (The Jews in their land in the Talmudic age (70-640 C.E.)) was published in 1989, but is essentially older.

As I see it, there were several steps. In the first place, the Trajanic War, which ended in a decisive Roman victory. The Land of Israel had remained quiet. It must have given the Romans the feeling that the problems with the Jews were over.

The Jewish response to the foundation of Aelia Capitolina had been calm. If the pagans wanted to venerate the One God, why not? Certainly, the Romans would not do this according to the Law, but wasn't it written that the sanctuary in Jerusalem was to be a home for all nations? The sages appear to have discussed the question whether this ban was sufficient anti-Jewish to oblige the Jews to revolt. Although there were rabbis who argued for war, the majority believed that for the conditions for an obligatory war (the famous "milhemet mitzvah") had not been met.

This changed with the ban on the mutilation of genitals, which seems to have followed immediately after the foundation of Aelia Capitolina. This was not a matter of "a pagan interpretation of the Jewish cult", it was considered a direct attack on Judaism, and therefore justified an obligatory war. With disastrous consequences.
Jona Lendering
My website
Great article Jona -- Thanks for posting this link.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Interesting article...

but unless an aelia coin overstruck with kochba stamp is found, it is not conclusive at all since we dont know when these coins were lost/deposited and since he himself writes that some of the caves he investigated clearly showed illegal excavations having been performed.

Just my two HS .....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Interesting article ... but unless an aelia coin overstruck with kochba stamp is found, it is not conclusive at all since we dont know when these coins were lost/deposited ...
Exactly my thinking, too.

As far as I can see (and maybe I've missed something?), the chronology of the Bar Kochba revolt is not at all secure. It seems to be based on a number of circumstantial observations: the caches of letters from the caves of the refugees seem to end in AD 132; previously, the latest securely-dated coin, overstruck by the rebels, was minted in 131 or 132; the newly-discovered overstruck coin was minted in 133 or 134; the rebels' own coinage refers explicitly to a first and a second year of "freedom of Israel" (and coins with no numeral are taken to imply a third year of revolt); Hebrew documents refer to "three-and-a-half" years of revolt; Hadrian was recruiting massively in late 133/early 134; Julius Severus was transferred specially from Britain to take charge, probably in 134 (definitely pre-135); Hadrian took his second imperatorial acclamation in recognition of Roman victory, but again the dating is uncertain (late 136?).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Hadrian took his second imperatorial acclamation in recognition of Roman victory, but again the dating is uncertain (late 136?).
I thought that it was early 136, but I read that in the article by Eck, which I cannot consult right now to check it. (Construction workers in my house.) :evil:
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I thought that it was early 136, but I read that in the article by Eck, which I cannot consult right now to check it.

I see that you are correct, Jona. Although it is odd that ILS 316, an official dedication from Lanuvium of AD 136/7, does not carry the imperatorial acclamations.

There are no diplomas of AD 136 (yet!) -- as official documents, these would clarify Hadrian's precise titulature in that year.

Quote:(Construction workers in my house.) :evil:
By invitation, I hope. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bar Kochba, new finds Jona Lendering 1 1,235 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Photos Bethar (last stand of Bar Kochba) Jona Lendering 5 1,999 07-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering