Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th Cent Germanic shield types?
Hi folks, I know this is a shot in the dark, but thought I would ask around.

I am in the SCA, and my personna is basically a 5th Century Germanic warrior. I have been fighting with a dished round shield, which I believe is appropriate, but before I was messing with this personna, I primarily fought with a short scutum.

Have attached a pic of basically the kit I am wearing now, only difference, is I now have chain under the lamellar, and I took the steel knees off the greaves. Also have added a pic of the scutum I also fight with.

I have dug thru the books I have, and well other than a gladiator shield, I dont see any evidence that anyone would of fought with a scutum like this at this time, other than as a gladiator. If I could find some, would love it, I really love the shield, but well lately, have been wanting to look more like my personna should.

Thanks for any help.
John Tibbs
Hi John,

First, I've moved the post to another section.

I'd say you're right about the shield.

Quote: I am in the SCA, and my personna is basically a 5th Century Germanic warrior. [..] Have attached a pic of basically the kit I am wearing now, only difference, is I now have chain under the lamellar, and I took the steel knees off the greaves.
Hmm, the shield may be the least of your worries.
I would say the tunic resembles a Roman tunic (a bit), but you were saying that you're looking for a Germanic warrior image?
I would also take the steel from the shoulders and look for more Roman shoes.
The helmet looks medieval, not Roman nor Germanic.

Sorry, not trying to burst your bubble or anything like that, just offering helpful (I hope) comment.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Actually the helm is based off of an ostrogothic helm. Will try and find a pic of it, have one at home, but it was the one that an Ostrogothic King, might of been Theodoric, gave out to several kings as a gift. So basically a spangenhelm. Here is actually two other pics, that actually show the helm better.

The tunic, is mainly due to at that time, i was doing more of a roman-brit personna, so was wearing a coptic.

Still need to get a more Germanic tunic and clothing, most of my stuff is still roman-brit in origin.

As far as shoes, honestly, I know they need upgraded, but every pair of shoes I have tried wearing that was more period, I have had issues either with traction, or people stomping on my feet with military boots. These dont help the stomping, but they do help with the traction. Smile

I also know it wont be a perfect kit. I love working on my personna, but I also am very competitive in this sport, so unfort, I will make exceptions, where I can. Which is why its SCA and not Re-Enactment. Re-enactment, I know this whole kit would get destroyed with its inconsitencies. Smile
John Tibbs
I cannot recall seeing a scutum in a Germanic context that late, but it is likely that Germans still used hexagonal shields.
You have no problem with the trunic for either Germans within the Empire or an ex Roman soldier who has kept his clothing and we do know that Germans moved back and forth across the Danube and Rhine seeking service or retiring to live on the proceeds (or even raiding and looting might bring a fancy tunic)
The greaves are OK, but the shoulder armour is just weird. If you must wear it put it under your tunic?
Roy
Roy Boss
As far as kit goes, its a work in progress, and some things need to be done for SCA. I will think about the shoulders, they arent a must, and can be put under, and for the greaves, well been thinking of going to leg wraps anyways.

But as far as shield types go, what types are going to be available to me?

I know I can document, flat round, dished round, and oval shields, but what about any other types, preferably maybe with a corner. I know scutums are out, was just a wish. Smile But were the Migration Germanic tribes still using Hexagonal at this point?

My kit can be manauvered between I think 450ad to 550ad, maybe a little later, I am thinking.

Thanks for all the help so far.
John Tibbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Germanic shield boss for a batavian impression Marcus Mummius 7 3,872 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  Different designs for different shield types? Carlton Bach 1 1,093 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Andrew Brozyna