Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt Richard Alston
This book was first published in 1995 but we do not seem to have looked at it before.<br>
It parallels the Birleys work at Vindolanda as this is based upon the papyri discovered in egypt in the 30s when the archaeologists were competing with the contractors digging for fertiliser. There are no pictures of the sources but see the apis database. The main interest is in looking at how retired veterans mixed in with egyptian society and also the influence of centurions on civilian life. The conclusion on the first is much less than you would think and the second the opposite.<br>
The author states that there is no reason why7 parallels cannot be drawn elsewhere but I wonder. The retired soldier in egypt seems to have to have been very much a minority as there does not seem to be any evidence of Colonia . They seemed to retire to egypian communities close to their forts and blended in well. No more than 14% of the population was "Roman". There is ample evidence for a system of centurions with regional responsibility and we are finding references to just such a centurionate in Britain.<br>
<br>
Interestingly he concludes that the military even up to the 4th century were not a burden on the population whose taxes could have paid for the whole Roman Imperial Army! He also doubts the large differentials in Auxilliary and Legionary pay .<br>
Surprisingly recruits seem to come from the whole of the east . Selection depends enormously on personal recomendation.<br>
It is well written book and easily read but it is not one which I would be tempted to buy . It will go back to the library. It has useful appendices to show the units of the garrison and the papyri sources and also some of the archeaology of Roman egypt<br>
He tries to look closely at one area Karanis but its no more than a few family trees. Anthony Birley has just published "Garrison life at Vindolanda " (Tempus ) and so far this seems to be looking more closely at one garrison but I am only a couple of chapters in.More anon. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Society\'s Imago Epictetus 6 1,838 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Alexand96
  Soldiers and Society in Later Roman Britain Robert Vermaat 9 3,339 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Andrew Brozyna
  Roman Military Research Society-new articles Caballo 20 6,206 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Crispvs