Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new musculata
Salvete,

I'm putting together my military tribune impression, so I'd like to show off my new lorica musculata. The photos are not of best quality - they are the first quick ones taken so I'd have something to send to others in my group.

The lorica was made by a local craftman from 1,5 mm sheet brass. It is intended for a Flavian period impression, so it is based mostly on iconography (statues etc.), and I chose the plain look with almost no musculature so its style would loosely resemble the style of a republican era example I liked. Oh, and I'm trying to portray a sensible officer who wants his armor to be, well, armor, not a costume. I'm still thinking about adding some features to it, maybe a medusa on the chest or something like that, but I'd like it to remain relatively plain and simple.

So, here goes:

[Image: P1010498small.jpg]

[Image: P1010501small.jpg]

[Image: P1010499small.jpg]

Any comments will be welcome.
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"
Sure looks great! I like the shape and placement of the shoulder pieces, but I kind of wonder if the sharp edges and corners might damage the front of the cuirass. How does it work as you wear it?

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
wonderful. I like it. I would also be interested in the movements you can achieve with it. I'm still don't like ours, as you simple can't do anything in it. Just walk or sit down, but no ability to do any camp activities. Additionally, did you think about tinning/silvering the shoulder parts. Would also add a wonderful effect, I think.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Avete,
thank you for your opinions :-) I hope It will works well... I am waiting for my new subarmalis now, so I could not try on the musculata well. I can sitt down well, move with hands, go... But I am also not sure that I will be able to do some camp activities in this armor - I have to experience i
Silvering shoulder plates: I am afraid that It is a bit expensive for me now. I am not so rich officer Big Grin D

I thinking over some features and fittings on the shoulder plates (one for each plate), may be some small lion head. And as I noticed on my first post also Meduza head on chest. I do not want to decorate the lorica to much, because of my sense for practicalnes :-) )

best regards from Prague :-) )

PS: Excuse me worse English in this post than in the first one: my boyfriend sometimes helps me with it and He is not at home now ;-) )
"Concordia militvm"
Quote:Silvering shoulder plates: I am afraid that It is a bit expensive for me now. I am not so rich officer Big Grin D

When you do electrolytically plating it with silver that doesn't have to be that expensive. Also, tinning would be even less expensive.
ALA I BATAVORUM
You can buy a polish that plates the brass or bronze. That is even less expensive I would imagine.
Although I have not tried it some people on here have recommended it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice musculata!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Salvete,

and I'd like to also show off my new officer's helmet. It was made by the same craftsman as the musculata and it is intended to be worn together with it. It is also made of 1,5 mm sheet brass, and the crest was made by Peroni (armamentaria.com).

And as with the armor the helmet has little decoration, although I'm thinking about adding some to it later. Maybe a medusa on the forehead and scorpions on cheek pieces.

Here it is:

[Image: P1010502small.jpg]

[Image: P1010504small.jpg]
"Concordia militvm"
Wow Radka!

This "praetorian helmet" looks good too! I especially like the overall shape of the helmet. The bowl is deep enough, unlike the Deepeeka one where it is clearly too shallow...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Amazing, Simply Amazing!!!!! Big Grin D
Now 2 ?s:
Whats the name of your manufacturer and 2, How much did he charge for the 2 pieces? 3, (Okay I miscounted) Whats his address?
All my best,
Salve,
Vitruvius a.k.a Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Very beautiful stuff. Clearly hand made, not machine stamped, and I think that's just how it ought to look.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.