Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin phrase translation
I hope there is someone who can help. I am trying to find the latin translation of "strength and honor". If anyone knows or can help me find out, it would be greatly appreciated <p></p><i></i>
strength can be 'robur' or 'vires' and honor 'honos' or 'fama' if you mean repute.<br>
Perhaps 'robur honosque'<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
How about "VIRES ET VALOR"? <p><BR><p align=center><font color=gold><font size=2>
_________________________________________________<BR>
VTINAM MODO SVBIVNCTIVO NVNQVAM MALE VTARIS<BR>
_________________________________________________</font></p><i></i>
If it were "Vires" and "valor", then the correct phrase would read "Vires volorque"...------ ----que is kinda like "peanut butter and jelly" instead of "Joe and Pete and Mike...." <p></p><i></i>
Ohhhhhhh...Thanks for the tip...That explains "...quoquae tres partes dividaris." <p><BR><p align=center><font color=gold><font size=2>
_________________________________________________<BR>
VTINAM MODO SVBIVNCTIVO NVNQVAM MALE VTARIS<BR>
_________________________________________________</font></p><i></i>
so would "vires honosque" be a correct translation???? It is very important that i get it right. Thank you guys. <p></p><i></i>
It depends on context: the Latin dictionaries I have don't say which word is most appropriate given the context. If you can wait a bit longer I'll put it to some Latin teachers and get a better answer. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
My teacher said this way was the correct way, but we all know how stubborn Latin teachers can be....<br>
<br>
Anyways, the difference between "--- et ----" and "------ ----que" could be a difference in what time period or where they used it. <p></p><i></i>
Much depends, in the translation, on the exact meaning of 'strength' and what you mean by 'honor'. Strength probably does not mean hear 'able to bench press 450 pounds'. It could mean 'keep up when all around you are losing it' or it could mean ' personal courage'. All these have different words in Latin. My Latin teacher friend suggested 'pietas' as 'duty to country'.<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin Translation Help... Titus Juventius Tertius 1 1,804 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell