Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web of Trust / Trust certificates
Hi all,
Does anyone use Web of Trust, or do you check a website's trustworthiness before you register/spend your cash?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
No. I never spend money on the internet.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well, mr.Fossil (not to mention the fact that I happen to know that your pants are on fire regarding that statement :wink: ), but do you ever sign up for newsletters, book a hotel - even without confirming, or sign up to a forum (hmmm....)? In other words: do you ever give private info on the web and do you then consider such certificates/ratings?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I don't know "Web of Trust", but my McAfee firewall/virus protection, etc. rates sites as I search for things. I've learned not to override it's warnings. I like Paypal for it's extra layer of distance. My online credit card is used for only online goods and services - easy to spot problems that way.
Cheryl Boeckmann
That's true, both McAfee and Symantec/Norton have plugins that show site warnings in search engines, and they can even prevent you from going to sites with viruses, etc.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Well, mr.Fossil

To be fair, you are wayyyy up on the cutting edge of things. Name any recent technological innovation and there's a pretty good chance Jasper Oorthuys is using it.
Quote:Well, mr.Fossil (not to mention the fact that I happen to know that your pants are on fire regarding that statement :wink: )
What do you mean? I don't even pay AW online. :roll:
Quote:but do you ever sign up for newsletters, book a hotel - even without confirming, or sign up to a forum (hmmm....)? In other words: do you ever give private info on the web and do you then consider such certificates/ratings?
You'll be surprised, but I've never booked a hotel online; always by telephone plus fax. This is the only forum, and there are two newsletters. For some purposes, I use a fake Facebook account; and the only private info is either on my website or the Linked-in. I don't think I'm extremely paranoid, but that really is all there is. Have I missed something?
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:What do you mean? I don't even pay AW online. :roll:
But your ordered it nevertheless, and that has clear privacy implications.
As to the other things, I don't know. I was just asking in general. It's certainly possible that I'm a very early adapter, as Justin suggests.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:
Quote:What do you mean? I don't even pay AW online. :roll:
But your ordered it nevertheless, and that has clear privacy implications.
Aha, yes, that is true. I was thinking about paying. But you're right, I ordered AW online.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Aha, yes, that is true. I was thinking about paying. But you're right, I ordered AW online.
And by that almost thoughtless act you are now caught in the fang of the Unnamed Dark Peril.... For a thousand millennia! (hollow laughter)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
UDP? I thought it was the JOPE (Jasper Oorthuys Publishing Empire)?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys