Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big numbers!
I just made a backup of the RAT database. Members might be interested to know that the uncompressed database containing just the plain text of this forum, private messages and member profiles etc, takes up almost 500 MB of space on the server and consists of nearly 1.2 million records!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Wow, all that jawing, and only half a gigabyte! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, you could see it in another way. 500 MB of characters stored in UTF-8 require in most cases 8bits/character, or one byte. That means that the database contains some 524,288,000 characters.

The above sentence contains 193 characters, spaces included. It requires over 2.7 million sentences of that length to get to 524,288,000 characters. That same sentence contains 31 words. Normal speaking speed is about 100 words / minute. So if someone tried to read all this yawing out loud, it would take 5,248,880 minutes. That's close to 10 years continuous talk. Coincidentally, RAT will be 10 years old come January...

The final conclusion is that, evidently, "A picture speaks a 1000 words" is no longer an expression that describes an efficient use of words. After all, a 2 Mb picture from a digital camera takes up waaaay more storage space than 1000 words. Big Grin D
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
A pivotal moment in history...a picture now paints 200,000 words! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well Byron, since it appears that the two of us head the 'number of posts leage', most of that jabbering may come from us! :oops:

Although.. my 10969 post are spread over 549 pages, your 9633 over 'just' 482. Does that make me a more lengthy jabberer? Big Grin

Btw, I expect you to overtake me before 2011..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That would be a sign of your wide range of knowledge on more subjects, and a sign that I will talk about anything, even when I shouldn't! :oops:

So, basically, if I continue to post utter drivel but add another 67 pages worth, I would have been up with you quantitively, if not qualitatively? :roll: :oops:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well Byron, since it appears that the two of us head the 'number of posts leage',
Hey, I now discover that those statistics are still available. And I'm #8! Wow.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
On the other hand, it took Robert 8 years to get that many posts, while Byron needed less than 4!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Someone spends to much time in idle chitter chatter methinks.... :oops:

Damned...did it again!!!! :x
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I just made a backup of the RAT database. Members might be interested to know that the uncompressed database containing just the plain text of this forum, private messages and member profiles etc, takes up almost 500 MB of space on the server and consists of nearly 1.2 million records!

Thats fairly impressive!

I would have said 500 meg is quite a small database, but 1.2m records is jaw dropping! really good!! Big Grin

I say 500 meg is small as the client database at my work with our system are well into the gigabytes!
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]