Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Rabbit Tank Killer
If there is anyone out there who's read any of Sven Hassel's books then you'll love this
[url:m1o5cnlt]http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk914/2159973655/[/url]

Don't open this at work though the language is quite strong!
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I don't mean to go all "thread-counter" on such a fun and entertaining mixed metaphor, but.... The Tank in question could not be a Tiger if it is MK II which never had an 88mm main gun. (not a howitzer BTW) The Tiger was a Panzer Mk V. Perhaps they meant a Tiger II or "KingTiger". The illustration looks muck more like Soviet JS II. In any case, hitting it in the frontal armor with would be unlikely to set the engines on fire as they are in the rear. On nearly all German tanks, the final drives for the tracks and some of the ammo were stored in the bow. Additionally, the weapon they are using is not a muzzle-loading panzefaust, which like its modern relative the RPG-7 had a larger diameter shaped-charge warhead stuck out of the front of the tube. Instead, they appear to be armed with a panzershreck which was a breechloader like the american bazooka. These may seem like insignificant nit-picking details, but this is exactly how things like the great inswinger vs outswinger debate get started :lol:
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
And tank engines are predominantly in the rear. Attacking a panzer from the front is a waste of time, unless you are using am 88mm. :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The Tiger was a Panzer Mk V
Not to nit-pick the nit-picker, but a Tiger is a Panzerkampfwagen VI. The V was the Panther. The Mk is an Anglo-saxon designation, of course. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
That reminds me of an old army joke.

A soldier in a foxhole is coming under heavy fire from the advancing enemy. He shoots as many of them as he can, but eventually runs out of bullets. So he shouts to his commander:
"Sir, I'm out of bullets! What should I do?"
The commander says: "Just point your gun at them and shout 'Bangety-Bang!"
So the soldier aims and shouts, and to his surprise, an enemy soldier falls dead. He does this three more times, but on the fourth try, the enemy soldier just keeps advancing.
"Sir, I'm doing what you said, but it isn't working anymore! They're closing in, and I was never issued a bayonet!"
So the commander says "Well, just point at them and shout 'Stabbety-Stab!"
The soldier tries this, and it works on three more enemy soldiers. But the fourth one, a big fat guy, just keeps coming.
"Stabbety-Stab! Bangety-Bang! Stabbety-Stab!"
The fat enemy soldier plods up to his foxhole, then jumps in and squashes him.
"Tankety-Tank," he says.
Speaking of Marks ...

Anyone ever seen the German Panzer Kampfwagen Mark VII ... ? (Had these reached the front in numbers, the war just might have ended differently ...)

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Nice! :lol: :lol:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:
Not to nit-pick the nit-picker, but a Tiger is a Panzerkampfwagen VI. The V was the Panther. The Mk is an Anglo-saxon designation, of course. :wink:
Thanks for catching my error Jasper. I did indeed forget to put the I after the V. My apologies, I don't want to spread misinformation. In my defense, I was at the end of a very long night at work. While we 're on (or is it off?) the topic, it is interesting how much the material culture, attitudes, and geography of the combatants influenced the designs of their tanks.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:the material culture, attitudes, and geography of the combatants
Great point! Yes, the T34 couldn't be but Russian for its blunt effectiveness, the Sherman just screams 'US Motor industry', the overengineered German tanks are quintessentially German and the British are, well, quirky?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:

And to nit-pick the nit-picking nit-picker, there were no PzKpfw designations around when Anglo-Saxon was being spoken and Mk is an English abbreviation... well, you started it! A propos of nothing, the most knowledgeable person on Tiger IIs I ever met was Prof Tom Fischer.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The nit-picking nit-picker stands nit-picked. :lol:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
The story is very funny, though! (Especially as I have to read the real story every few nights to my little boy.)
Quote: The illustration looks muck more like Soviet JS II.
It certainly has a much more rounded turret than any of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tan ... rld_War_II

Also, the German MP40 was a Schmeisser, not a Scmeisser. Hey ho, the pedant. Big Grin
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
And to further nit pick - why, when he's wearing German uniform, is he attacking an ostensibly German tank? Was there internecine strife in the German army in WW2 that we didn't know about? Or is he a British/American/other ally in disguise? :lol:
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Sounds like he's is possibly a psycho-delinquint, nazi-bunny? Kills for kicks..... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well ...

Since the Tiger is being used by Farmer McGregor, either he has captured it and is using it against the former owners or he bought it used, ala Oddball at the end of Kelly's Heroes.

"The trade for the uniforms I can understand, but to buy this tank, you gotta be crazy!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxsHrOt ... re=related

Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suppose rome built a working steam tank? marcust 22 4,332 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Proximus
  WWII Tank Simulator Matt Lukes 1 938 05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar