Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxiliary Cohorts and their titles
Quote:Did you find this in Jeno Fitz' work Nathan?

I wish I had! Sadly, I lack both the academic rigour and the knowledge of German... No, I just looked it up on the wonderful, if very temperamental Epigraphik Databank (just type CIL 03, 14429 into the 'publication' search box, but remember that comma or it won't tell you anything!)

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Fitz has been translated into english!!!! (I'm of course talking about the book Honorific Titles of Roman Military Units in the 3rd century.....
Part of the history of Auxiliary cohorts :Cohors II Lucensium and Cohors I Atoitorum
Recognizing the favorable strategic location KABYLENON in 136 A.D. Romans settled in this place auxiliary troops. Consistent bivouac: Cohors II Lucensium (transferred from Abritus in THRACIA . cohort was moved to Camp Germaneia / Germania (modern city in Bulgaria "Sapareva bath")- to about 190 years and Cohors I Atoitorum, which remains until the end of antiquity, but by the end of the third century. its staff shall be recruited from the local population. Military camp Kabyle is situated within the province of Thrace and the troops concentrated in it (at least until mid-third century) have primarily police functions - to maintain order in the eastern province and carry out control on main roads and passes in the eastern part of the mountain.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Ara made at the request of CLAVDIVS LVPVS PREFECT of Cohors II Lucensium, In connection with the construction of a legionary Castrum.
[Image: e8ea0f48d982.jpg]
Unusual way of writing of the Latin letters!Handwriting is not typical like that was used in the inscription on the monuments of this type!
Kabyle Bulgaria archaeological museum.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artillery in Auxiliary Cohorts dadlamassu 5 422 01-21-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Roman Auxiliary Cohorts Rod MacArthur 9 3,097 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Rod MacArthur
  Command structure of auxiliary infantry cohorts Theodosius the Great 7 2,735 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Last Post: drsrob