Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/32 scale auxilia suggestions?
Salve! I have been looking for a solution for 1/32 plastic auxilia. No one manufactures them as far as i know. For my legionaries I use Conte's metal Romans(and still waiting for the day when the make plastic ones Big Grin ) but i have never been able to come up with a good auxiliary. I have tried converting some of Conte's plastic Vikings or Saxons, but (being rather picky) I was never satisfied with the results. I realize that the standard auxiliary probably wasn't as uniform as Trajan's Column would have them, but I'm not sure on how "local" or un-uniform they would look. Most reenactor photos I've seen still present a fairly "roman" look. And in the excellent painting in Ancient Warfare magazine of a Batavian auxiliary at Mons Graupius the subject could almost be a legionary! So if there are any ideas out there I would love to hear them. Gratias Tibi
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
Likewise, I do not know of any 1/32 plastic auxilia... Several miniature manufacturers make figures from the period in 54mm. Depending on company, "54mm" varies quite a bit from close to 1/35th scale to about 1/30th scale or even larger. Most of these are metal. El Viejo Dragon makes quite an extensive amount of Roman empire figures including some auxiliaries. But they are metal. Time Machine Miniatures makes several Teutoburger vignettes that do scale out to 1/32 scale. They are resin figures. And while they represent primarily legionaires and Germanic warriors, there are some auxiliaries thrown in. Being resin, and being fairly simple, they are easy to convert. Currently there are 17 sets released, but an 18th one - still pending - will have Germanic auxiliaries in Roman service. One is an "officer" wearing trousers with chain mail and a fairly Gallic looking helmet. He carries an oval shield. The other two are more "irregular". Both are running, one with a bow and one with a sling.

Gook luck.
Kevin
Thanks! I've never tried those resin figures, I'll have to look into them.
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)