Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with model Roman fort
Hi Aurelius,
,,,the shape of towers bears (almost) no relation to their shape. Horsehoe-type (not round) gate-towers as in Biriciana (which is an auxiliary fort as the Saalburg, BTW) used to be constructed in a later phase of the limes (mostly guarding the main gate--there were also some other types).
Theses are that they took the gates of the legionary fortress of Castra Regina (Regensburg, D) as a "role model" here.
It seems practical ( at least to me) to view the forts for the regular auxilia , -- ala and cohortes as 1:10 [approximate !] copy of a legionary fortress, the latter being usually sited more in the "Hinterland". ( Mogontiacum = Mainz,D/ Argentorate = Strassboug,F -- both on the Rine and Castra Regina= Regensburg,D, that being
the legionry fortress for the part of the limes (Raetia) where Biriciana is sited.
The "deviation" from rectangular inline towers at the auxiliary towards differently shaped ones (and protruding) began after 150 AD.
Late roman fortifications mostly had higher walls and towers besides having much "fatter" walls in general. (Up to 4,50 m wide foundations, but mostly [medianized :mrgreen: ] between 2,00 and 3,00 m , that is)
Yes, and there have been modelling-threads before, like that one: link from old RAT
Some interesting pics (and links) there.
Still chasing the easterbunny ? -- Happy hunting !
Greez

Simplex

Although having become an older publication by now Anne Johnsons book "Roman forts of the 1st and 2nd centuries AD in Britain and the German provinces" (from 1983) -- which I happen to have in a German version (3rd ED., 1990) may be helpful for an more in-depth overview as (as far as I can judge) the British Osprey books on that topic should be, too. (Besides that, a good number of these are written by fellow RAT-members -- rest assured they know their stuff ! Smile )
Edit: --sunday morning, headache, not too wide awake still: the statement on the 1:10 factor is a bit too bland. :oops:
But comparing the size of auxiliary forts that with legionary forttresses is not too far off, but the sizes of some larger auxialiary forts
(those for the mixed "equitata" "500(?)-men"-units and those for "1000 men"-units, of course) ranged up to 5,2 ha, which is roughly a fourth of the size of a 1-legion fortress. Thicker walls like at Aalen [foundations up to 1,70 wide] would have allowed for higher walls and higher towers, although IIRC the Aalen fort seems to be reconstructed with 1-storey towers. (I haven't got the recent editions of their "LImesmuseum Aalen")
Siggi K.
Thanks! I see some re-designs coming on my fort! lol!
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
Where Byron has shown the Fort of Arbeia with it's three levels of towers this reconstruction of a gateway was much influenced by creations at Xanten, this was where the archaeologists and the people who built it were invited there to gain some ideas about this kind of construction.

The original plans were for just two levels with only crenelations and no rooves to the towers, it is correct about the Barcari' Tigrinensis for these kind of units were used for transport logistics. Infact there is still part of a Roman Dam with it's pound lock still intact on the river Tyne about 20 miles upstream from Arbeia. This unit even transported goods as far as the Forts near the boarder of Scotland all the way from Arbeia.

I would go for just two levels and even without ridge rooves but crenelation.
Brian Stobbs
[Image: PortaAppia.jpg]

Heres a gate house from the 'Ultimate Roman Fort' :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I do think I'm leaning towards just two levels. Most of the pictures showing reconstructed gatehouses on the Limes only show two levels. And as for the "ultimate roman fort" I would love to build that one......though it may be a bit large! lol Gratias Tibi!
Ave Aurelius, :wink:
...when thumbing through the threads I read i ran into post #1 here:
link from old RAT
In think the link included might be of interest to you.
(The graphics = a good sight for a sore eye)
Greez
Simplex
Siggi K.
Thanks!! Those pictures are terrific! Computers are amazing aren't they Big Grin