Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhibition at Colosseum - Gladiatores
I discovered this at another forum and thought it might interest you as well:

http://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/2010/ ... s-2864685/
(newspaper article on the exhibition in Italian)

http://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/2010/ ... 2868776/1/
(pictures from the exhibition)
Good pictures! Just wish I could read what the article said haha.
- Ryan
Thanks for the post, Svenja - some nice helmets there!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Is there any provenance for the helmet in photo 9? I don't have my Junkelmann book handy. That's not one you see pictured very often.
Pecunia non olet
Yes, Junkelmann shows it in his book naming it helmet H14, complete murmillo helmet from the gladiator barracks in Pompeii. For all who have the book (new edition of 2008) it's shown on p. 236, pictures 383 and 384 (unfortunately I lent the old book to one of my comrade so I don't know on which page it is to be found there).
Hey, nice information.
As Ill be in Rome for the Natale Di Roma in two weeks I will certainly have a look at this exhibition.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
I was there a couple of weeks ago. There are a few modern replica helmets & swords etc along with a few original Pompeii helmets & daggers. I have a few pictures I will post.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Great, I will be going there next week.
I found some pictures on Flickr, but I am looking forward to seeing this exhibition on person.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Those repros are very nice. They've copied the museum specimens very closely. Of course, being in Texas, I haven't seen the originals, and I'm just going by pictures. But it looks really accurate as far as can be seen from here.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Great, I will be going there next week.
I found some pictures on Flickr, but I am looking forward to seeing this exhibition on person.

Ther is a good bookshop there, I bought a book entitled Gladiators, an english version of an Italian original I think. 35 euros with some intersting illustrations, a bit fanciful with twin grieves for a Myrmillo etc ... the usual mistakes but I couldn't resist. This type of book usually manages to come up with a photo of an artifact I haven't seen before so I sacrifice money on the alter of knowledge :|

Look out for a bronze shield type thing. I couldn't work out what it was. I took some photos and will try and get them up this week.
Conal Moran

Yoda
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1

Found one on teh web ...tab down and its next to the two daggers ... I would suggest Venatores armour?
Conal Moran

Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanted: Gladiatores and support personnel in Seattle cn.caelius 1 2,893 04-30-2016, 06:48 AM
Last Post: CM Demetrivs Medicvs