Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atilla.....
Ave et Salutatio:<br>
<br>
Fellow Romans, I must report that I accidentally watched parts of "Atilla", which was rebroadcast on TNT this past Thanksgiving day. All I can say is AAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH. From a distance, the pila looked OK, but then I saw the points (which seemed to be rather large). I also saw nothing too bad with the Lorica hamata (since this film was set in the mis 5th-century AD, none of them had shoulder doublings).<br>
The offenses against the Dignitas of Roma Aeterna began with the scuta. Not only was the construction just short of amazingly terrible, I distinctly saw them bend and flex as some legionaries ran with them (as if they had been made of rubber or fiberglas). Next, the armor and helmets were almost as bad as they were in "Gladiator". After that, the images of the Roman's camp look as if they were on the field at an ACW reenactment (wall tents everywhere....)<br>
I'll stop fuming now so I can hear your own opinions...<br>
<br>
Gaius Octavius Drusus <p></p><i></i>
Michael Garrity
I think 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH' EM is very well put, nuff said. That series was on a few months ago over here. Taped it at the time and had to force myself to watch it later, it was about Romans after all.<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
The "Attila" photos I saw on the web inspired me much. I actually invented (coined) new four letter words! The english language is richer now. But, for the sincere consideration I have for all of you, I will not report them here. ciao to all <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
They showed it last night on TV and I was stunned!!!<br>
REAL ABSOLUTE CRAP. The stupidist thing I have seen in years. Lousy shots, lousy props, lousy acting, VERY STUPID costumes, and the story completely idiotic. But I still think we should all see this movie. One must know how low the idiots in the film industry can go. What gets on my nerves is the thought that some of them might even believe they are hot stuff, intellectuals with their script writing diplomas, media degrees and acting studio background. I admired more those that produced Westerns. They were more honest. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Goffredo that must be a coincidence but day before yesterday a french TV channel, I don't remember which one, blessed us with an "Attila" I had not seen before.<br>
And believe me, that was an experience..E EM<br>
To begin with, Attila was a nice looking bearded gentleman with blue eyes. Very handsome indeed.<br>
The Romans were dressed in first/second centuries styles, including of course trajanic style military costumes, the usual "Hollywood" leather helmets and armour for officers and so on..<br>
The "barbarians" whoever they were, were invariably dressed in rags, furs and many wore the dreaded (by Tim.. ) horned helmet.<br>
No attempt, however pathetic, was made to recreate the late imperial court dress as it was done in the classic "Attila" with Anthony Quinn, in which, BTW, Aetius manages to lose at the Campi Mauriaci battle..<br>
In this one however, Aetius wins. That was a relief..<br>
Another however is that Aetius has Theodoric, his Wisigoth allied king, assassinated on the field of battle, for some reason, and then feels sorry the Wisigoths leave him to go back to their land. Funny how script writers have a way of over simplifying complicated matters, and over-complicating simple ones.<br>
Of course Attila ends up poisoned by his new bride. The recorded version would probably have been too anti-climactic..<br>
All in all, a good 55 minutes of hilarity.<br>
55 minutes because I didn't actually watch the whole thing. I ain't no hero either.. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 4/18/02 12:25:56 pm<br></i>
Quote:All in all, a good 55 minutes of hilarity. 55 minutes because I didn't actually watch the whole thing.
I managed to watch the entire thing (as Jasper says, "it was about Romans after all"). The most painful portions for me were the battle scenes with massive armies numbering nearly fifty or sixty on each side. Oh, and the horned helmets. They made me wince.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
I actually sent proper equipment, including a draco, spathas, and offered Ridge helmets to a company in California to film a show about the Battle of Chalons. I only asked that they pay the shipping both ways....
They did do that... but they didn't use the late Roman equipment, because it didn't "look Roman", even thought they had it available!

Don't you just love "film histories"? I'd like to line the directors. producers and costumers up and send them somewhere.....

They (generally) just don't care about accuracy. Maybe if they could make money by putting out a companion book to the film, discussing the costumes and actual history? Like the Star Wars movie/lobby books explaining X wings, Tie fighters and light sabers.... now collectors items.

[amazon]Sweet Liberty[/amazon] one of Alan Alda's best films.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
[Image: vomit.jpg]
An image worths more than 1000 words... :wink:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]