Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan's Column in Colour
This is from a few weeks ago - does anyone know any more about it?  Confusedhock:  

Quote:Trajan’s Column Shows its True Colors

Trajan’s Column, one of Rome's most famous monuments, could soon be restored to its original glories. An international team of scientists and researchers have announced the initial findings of a revolutionary new analysis of the column’s ancient paint scheme, and their discoveries look set to overturn many preconceived notions about the appearance of the Roman army on campaign.

Heather Prowsen, Archaeology Today, February 17, 2010

Erected in 113 A.D. in honor of the Emperor Trajan (53-117 A.D.), the huge marble column stands almost 100 feet in height. It is decorated with a spiral relief sculpture, winding 23 times around and depicting the story of Trajan's triumphant campaigns in Dacia, now part of Romania. One of the best preserved of all Roman artworks, the monument has however lost what might have been it most distinctive feature -- color. "The column was a carnival of color. The soldiers, the shields, the horses, the rivers, the sky were all painted," explains team leader Maurizio Anastasi, head of the technical office of Rome Superintendency for Archaeology.

Over nearly 2000 years, the heavily polluted air of central Rome has obliterated all traces of the pigments. But Professor Anastasi’s team, which includes a team of scientists from the WMG foundation at the UK’s Warwick University, together with archaeologists from the British School in Rome and the Università degli Studi Roma, have found a high-tech way around this problem.

Recent advances in technical photography, including UV fluorescence and reflectography, allow painted ornamentation to be made visible even in areas where no pigment has survived, due to chemical transformations of the surface of the stone. Professor Giovanni Verro, a scientist from the conservation and scientific research department of the Università degli Studi Roma, explains that the team have been using portable detectors with light-emitting diodes to beam infrared light onto the surface of the column, and a camera that can detect the light reflected by the chemically-altered stone particles.

“These areas were then analysed using energy dispersive X-ray analysis (SEM-EDX), to provide information about the chemical elements present in the stone,” Professor Verro explains. “Examination by Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy with attenuated total reflectance (ATR) microscopy, provided further information about the chemical composition and structure of the areas studied.” This information has allowed a complex picture to be built up of the colored pigments used on the monument when it was first erected.

The results have surprised even the team members themselves. “Many of the colors found were what we had expected,” says Professor Simon Baker, archaeologist at the British School in Rome. “The sky is blue, the trees are green, and the skin areas show traces of pink flesh tones. What’s been most surprising, though, are the colors of the armor and clothing worn by the troops.” Until now, historians have assumed that the Roman army dressed in plain colours, with tunics of red or brown and polished metal armor. Not so, believes Professor Baker. “The analysis so far shows an astonishing variety of pigments, from the usual red to blue, green and yellow. In places, we’ve been able to ascertain patterned tunics in different colors, cheques and stripes, even polka-dots.”

More extraordinary still are the paint traces from the armor of the soldiers. “We’ve believed for some time that ancient Greek warriors often painted their armor,” says Simon Baker, “but never expected the Romans might have done the same. But alongside grey, we’ve been finding red and orange, pink and pale blue. Even the famous banded or segmented armor of the legionaries appears to have been painted in bright colors. Some samples show alternating bands of red and white, or yellow and green. The overall effect is very striking, almost ‘psychedelic’, and quite a change from the drab, rather spartan image suggested by many recent reconstructions.”

Work on the column is still ongoing, but Professor Anastasi and his team hope to present their findings in a public exhibition at Rome’s Museo della Civiltà Romana, alongside plaster casts of the column itself, later this year.

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Quote:This is from a few weeks ago - does anyone know any more about it? Confusedhock:

Other than the nature of the posting date, and the fact I still can't get the paint spots out of my overalls, I deny it all!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Who will be first in line for the pink lorica and polka dot tunic combo! Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
This is a good find. I've heard about high-tech photography and lights being used on old paintings and frescos, but until now not on carved stone. Some of the colours seem odd, though. :?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
No doubt that will set the cat among the pigeons. I can hear the arguments starting already... 8)
(Great post, thanks!)
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
That is amazing! I always thought that the lorica was a bit bland, alternating colors? I wonder about shield color......
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
Quote: In places, we’ve been able to ascertain patterned tunics in different colors, cheques and stripes, even polka-dots.

I see another tunic war evolving Sad

But yeah, although I find this rather strange news, from a scientific point of view, I've to admit I'm kind of interested in the reports. Both from my biophysical chemistry background as interest of the information this can provide us with. Sounds very intersting.
ALA I BATAVORUM
But of course, as the artists who created Trajans Column had absoulutely no idea what a real Roman army looked like :roll: , they probably made up all the colours anyway...... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I want a polka dot Tunica !!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Well, since it's now gone midnight by my time, I suppose I should draw a line under this silliness :wink:

The above article was, of course, all my own work, in honour of the date*. The estimable Professore Anastasi was actually involved in shining coloured lights onto the column some months ago, to give an impression of its original appearance, but the colours used were relatively ordinary and no pink loricas appeared.

My apologies to anyone whose digestion was upset by the thought of multicoloured legionaries! But if anyone actually wants a polka-dot tunic, I'm sure they can have one...

Moderators - please feel free to delete this thread, or move it to Off Topic, if you feel it might disconcert the unwary!

- Nathan :twisted:

* [The original post was on April 1 2010 - 'April Fool's Day']
Nathan Ross
Brilliant stuff Nathan. Brilliant.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
April fools is soooooooooooo lovely !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Big Grin Wow, I sure did fall for that. I thought the colours were odd but didn't think it through (or think about the date).
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Brilliant Post Nathan, I almost choked on my cornflakes this morning even after reading Mike's post!

Quote:I thought the colours were odd but didn't think it through

Funnily enough not really, they are almost all plausible at one time or other it would depend on who, when and where! Etruscan monuments also show alternate colours for pteryges. I also believe that Simon Baker was the historical advisor on the series 'Rome' if not he was involved with the book and series on the 'Ancient Rome rise and fall of an empire', released by the BBC..

It is strange but in spite of our modern viewpoint pink was really only associated with female clothing and tastes in fairly recent times. Because of the red colour element it was considered a very masculine colour and suitable for boys right up until the early 20th century. (I got that titbit of information via QI on the BBC!) All those pink long johns in westerns suddenly spring to mind!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Big Grin You had me going for a while...
Scott B.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,649 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,371 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,115 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus