Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pekary, Repertorium der H.&R. Schiffsdarstellungen
Anybody know where this book can be had? It's a special in the Münstersche Boreas series, but who publishes it? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Full reference: PEKÃÂÂ
Well, if you have it, let's first hear this: is it worth chasing after? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Jasper!<br>
<br>
I don't own the book myself but have it here in our institute. According to the introduction, it contains "all representations of ships that we know from the time between Alexander the Great and the 4th century AD excluding coins and engraved gems. If available, a picture is provided on the facing page for all pieces mentioned. Items pictured in Arvid GÖTTLICHER, Materialien für ein Corpus der Schiffsmodelle im Altertum (Mainz 1978 ) or M. LANGNER, Antike Graffitizeichnungen auf unbeweglichen Trägern (from around 1999/2000) or ICUR or IGUR are not given again. The texts are only about the representations of the ships themselves, not about whatever they are found on."<br>
<br>
Included are ships from numerous types of monuments: mosaics, altars, tombstones, and other reliefs; in mural paintings, on lamps, as brick stamps or graffiti, on greek vases and roman bronze or silver vessels, as terracotta models or ship-shaped lamps etc., about 700-800 items (personal guess) altogether. Doing a quick double-check, I found ca. ten pics of ships in my material that are not in this book, but no wonder: there are surely a lot more out there.<br>
<br>
Substantially, the book consists of six pages of preface/introduction/list of abbreviations/glossary, 430 pages of (short) ship descriptions and pictures (all are b/w) and 17 pages of concordance lists and photo reference. In a number of cases you will be disappointed about the quality of the pictures because of the bad scans and/or the bad originals used, but it seems to be an interesting overlook of what we have in this field. Could not find out the price, btw.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/umagisternavis.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Magister Navis</A> at: 4/11/02 12:06:50 pm<br></i>