Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof of the Domus Aurea collapses
Just saw this in the newspaper:

[url:28bpxd6a]http://temporeale.libero.it/libero/news/2010-03-30_130420476.html[/url]

Apparently a part of the roof of the domus aurea has collapsed.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
It's not the Domus Aurea itself, but part of Trajan's gallery, which was added later.

Earlier report: BBC news
Later report: 'Collapse not very serious'
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(ANSA) - Rome, March 30 - Most of the homes of Ancient Rome's rulers are at risk because of subsidence and rain seepage, an official said after a tunnel over Nero's Golden House collapsed Tuesday.

"The real emergency is on the Palatine," said Domus Aurea Commissioner Antonello Vodret, referring to the first and greatest of Rome's hills, where the city was born and where its emperors later built their residences.

"Unless we get money soon, the whole hill could crumble".

"There are some 150 houses that have not been protected against water," Vodret said.

However, he voiced the hope that Tuesday's partial collapse of one of the tunnels of Hadrian's Baths, built over the Domus, would "hasten the arrival" of the funds.

Archeologist Andrea Carandini told ANSA that the situation of some of Ancient Rome's sites was so bad that "collapses have become a nightmare for me".

Tuesday's incident was "dramatic proof that there is a real emergency in Rome," he said, adding that it was lucky no one died when the tunnel roofing came down in what has been used since the early 20th century as a storage area for artifacts.

The collapse of the tunnel section of Hadrian's Baths, on top of the Golden House, also hit a tiny section of one of Rome's oldest walls.

A "couple of fragments" from the Aurelian Walls (271-275 AD) fell down, emergency workers said.

One bit hit a passing car but no one was hurt.

The Palatine is so shaky and riddled with rain-swollen holes that some experts think it could all come down in a heap.

Many of its villas, temples and residences have been closed because of subsidence - although the House of Augustus reopened last year.

Despite its glittering heritage, the Palatine is often ignored by Rome's ten million annual visitors.

Part of the reason is the steep climb up from the Forum.

Only a tenth of tourists can face the trek after they've toured ancient Rome's large heart and seen the Colosseum.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ITALIAN GOVERNMENT !!!

Where is M**s*l*ni when you need him.

I am very sorry, but this story as well as the ridiculous preservation of Italian/Roman sites makes my blood boil beyond the point of 1000000 degrees Farenheit..

Really, i am shocked and appalled by this news story.

Sorry if i offend anyone with my remarks, but i feel offended in the deepest depth of my every existence by this criminal neglect of our European heritage.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Here is someone who reflects and saves a lot of the heritage on film, before it all goes to shambles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainmen ... 561259.stm

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Well Henk,

At least for me, this time around, I find no offence. If you are appalled, you could just imagine how I must feel being born in Italy and spending all my summers there. I do not get a chance to go as often as I like, but my ties are very strong and I too feel dissapointment.

Mussolini, at least for me, was.........I will not be explicit here. However, what I do respect is that at least he tried to show the Italians that we were or at least our peninsula was once the center of the known world and that we should not let that die and be forgotten.

The state of Italy is in disrepair. I speak to my family there and they all say it is the end of the road soon if something is not done. The end of eveything. The country literally is going by the way-side.

No one gives a crap about anything including the politicians and the social problems going on there........You know what, do not get me started.

I am with you on this one Henk. What the F*#* is going on? Did someone turn out the lights or is everyone out to lunch?

Look, I was in the Museum of Roman Civilization this past summer and when you walk in and buy a ticket, there is a modern telescope like machine used to generate images in the planetarium that is now housed in the museum. I spoke to the curator at lenght and she mentioned that most of the Roman exhibits are stuffed in a room since they had to make space for the planetarium because the administration of the city of Rome decided that the past is not as important as the future and that studying a dead society is not wise. I do not recall if it is the current administraion or the one prior that did this. Nonethless, I think this should answer all the questions.

When something is wrong it should be pointed out and discussed
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Well, if I can be philosophical about it I guess nothing lasts forever.
Quote:The world is maintained by change... The speed with which all of them vanish - the objects in the world, and the memory of them in time.

Marcus Aurelius

It's terrible to hear about something like this, especially when we are so interested in Roman history. I have a bit of sympathy for the Italian government, though. They have an awful fiscal situation, and it must be hard to prioritise how one spends the budget. Yes, keeping historical places in good repair may help tourism, but when you have people hungry and out of work today it is hard to invest in the future.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
David,

That is what I was pointing out. The fiscal problem is big. However, this is an ongoing issue. Since I was a little boy, it has been the same story. There is no work..........people have to go elsewhere to work........the government does not care........the government is corrupt.

This is old news. However, under the current economic situation this "old news" is magnified and the pinch is worse now. Not to mention, at least this is the consensus with the Italians I spoke to be they middle class or wealthy, that the coming of the Euro which drove prices through the roof while salaries were kept the same does not help.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Thanx Paolo, i think you are correct too in your assessment of the situation.. It just pains my heart to see things like this fall apart, and people then blaming it on rainfall....

That just hurts.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roof on Stonehenge richsc 6 2,908 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Vindex