Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German language help
I sometimes use a German expression I once heard: something is not Krisenswert "worthy of a crisis". However, from a Google run I learn that this expression does not exist. So, dear German friends, what would you say? "Krisewert"?

I believed I heard this word being used by Helmut Kohl, who was against the migration of the German capital from Bonn to Berlin, but believed it was not worthy of a crisis, not "Krisenswert". I like the word, and the wisdom that's expressed by it; there's no word like it in Dutch - but apparently, the word doesn't exist in German either. :?: :roll:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
hi Jona,

I have to admit that it is not in my active vocabulary, but through Google I just learned that the term "Krisenwert" does exist as a financial/stock exchange term, e.g. in the meaning of gold being a "Krisenwert", i.e. something of *value* where people invest during a *crisis*. Couldn't find it in the sense you describe above. Maybe you misheard and actually something like "Das ist doch keine Krise wert (This certainly isn't worth a crisis) was said?
This is not a common German word.
Crisis and value…If I asked Google the first hits are something like “What is the Value of Gold in the Crisis?” Maybe it could be better explained if we have a context?
Big Grin
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Quote:Maybe you misheard and actually something like "Das ist doch keine Krise wert"
I think that is what I must have heard, indeed.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I know only of "Krisenherd" meaning trouble spot.
While this thread is here I have a question that has been bugging me.

There's a German player for the local hockey team here named Jochen Hecht. Most people pronounce his last name Hesht, but a few people pronounce it Hekht, with a hard "ch" like in Christ.
I was pretty sure that Hesht was correct because that's how the guy on the radio says it, but then I was glancing through the official NHL Guide and Record Book, and their pronunciation guide says it's Hekht.
So who's got it right?
The "sh" would be closer. It´s like in a scottish "Ach!"
The word means "pike" (as the fish)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:The "sh" would be closer. It´s like in a scottish "Ach!"
The word means "pike" (as the fish)

Thanks Christian. In that case, -1 for the official NHL pronunciation guide.
The German ch is quite similar to the Dutch g, but usually not pronounced as hard as that. But there are also Germans, who pronounce it like sh. (I think Christian misunderstood the American kh, the NHL pronunciation guide is actually correct).
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:But there are also Germans, who pronounce it like sh. (I think Christian misunderstood the American kh)
Yup. The Hessians, e.g. In the Allgäu it is pronounced at least as strong as in Dutch... but I was referring to high-German pronunciation rules... ^^
Quote:I think Christian misunderstood the American kh
The problem is there: we don´t use IPA, would make all easier for such a question...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:(I think Christian misunderstood the American kh, the NHL pronunciation guide is actually correct).

Now that confused me a little... maybe this way would be better: is the 'ch' in Hecht the same as the 'ch' in München?

Maybe I just read the pronunciation guide incorrectly. When I saw 'kh' I thought 'Christmas.'
Quote:Now that confused me a little... maybe this way would be better: is the 'ch' in Hecht the same as the 'ch' in München?
Yes, that's correct. The Spanish J is also sounding quite the same.
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:
Justin of the New Yorkii:1puawrd4 Wrote:Now that confused me a little... maybe this way would be better: is the 'ch' in Hecht the same as the 'ch' in München?
Yes, that's correct. The Spanish J is also sounding quite the same.

OK I've got it now, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  German language question Jona Lendering 7 1,735 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Last Post: agrimensor
  German language question / Kalkriese Jona Lendering 2 1,228 08-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering