Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s DBG
The only online English translations I've found of Caesar's De Bello Gallico, are that of McDewitte and Bohn, published in 1869. In double-checking the original Latin (on the Perseus Project website) for Book 8, Ch. 24, I found two rather glaring errors: "He kept with himself Marcus Antonius the quaestor, with the eleventh legion." Yet the Latin says quite clearly "cum legione duodecima" ("with the twelfth legion"). A little further on in the same paragraph, the translation reads "he sent the twelfth legion .. to hither Gaul." The Latin reads "legionem autem XV ... in togatam Galliam mittit."<br>
<br>
Does anyone know if such errors are frequent in this translation? (I notice the Rex Warner translation agrees with the above Latin text). If so, the translation is completely useless, and everyone tempted to use it should beware. Or, on the other hand, are there multiple, contradictory rescensions of Caesar's Commentarii?<br>
<br>
Any suggestions?<br>
<br>
John Hartwell <p></p><i></i>
I've checked my edition of <i> De bello gallico</i> (bilingual latin/catalan): on the second error you mention the latin text reads <i> legionem autem XV</i> but in a footnote gives an alternative based on other editions: XII or <i> duodecimam</i>. The use of XV instead of XII is in fact a correction on the original... so maybe the on-line translation chose this second alternative without the correction (were there any footnotes?).<br>
<br>
On the first error you've mentioned, it seems clearly that: just an error.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Marc<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=mfigueras>mfigueras</A> at: 4/9/02 4:03:06 pm<br></i>