Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Augustan Rome Digital Map
Quote:Digital Augustan Rome responds to a lacuna in the field of Roman archaeology and urbanism: there exists no comprehensive reasoned period plan of Republican or Imperial Rome. Our enterprise aimed to create a visual synopsis of what is known about the city of Rome c.A.D. 14 – a pivotal phase of Rome’s transformation into an imperial capital – and to justify our renderings in written form. The result is a set of large-scale maps (1:6000 for the Main Map; 1:3000 for the Central Area) and a critical commentary addressing every structure, area, and aspect depicted. The title, Digital Augustan Rome, expressly conveys our belief that the work offered here is merely the beginning of a larger process of reasoned visualization to be carried out on many levels of scholarship and which may, eventually, result in a ‘map’ of Augustan Rome.

[url:2lcpw8nv]http://digitalaugustanrome.org/[/url]

This is a fantastic resource - a hugely detailed map of Augustan Rome from the University of Pennsylvania, based on a reconstruction of known street patterns plotted with sites from archeological, inscriptional and literary evidence, each with comprehensive notes, laid out like a Google map. There's also a satellite view of the modern city with the same points marked for comparison. It's dated AD14, so no forum or baths of Trajan, for example, but lots of older republican structures that don't usually feature on 'imperial era' maps.

It's an ongoing project, so should grow over time - Big Grin

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Very interesting and helpfull when studding the city of Rome. Big Grin Thanks for posting.

I recently also came accros this website, showing a scale model of Rome. Very well done, in my opinion.
[url:1megzu1u]http://www.maquettes-historiques.net/P5.html[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM