Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pic from movie "Centurion", what say the experts?
I have to agree that it is an improvement in that metal is being used. However, I think that the phalerae being worn in battle is not wrong since I think there is evidence that they were (I do not exactly recall where I read this). However, the phalerae are a little small although the images are not bad compared to the Lauresfort pieces they used. On the other hand, the shoulder doublers on that hamata are too big. They literally droop over the sides. The doubler is used theoretically, to protect the chest, upper shoulders, and trap muscles. The doubler should not be protecting the bicept, tricept, and nealry the elbow.

The wrist pads have to go and the color black for a cloak? From the evidence in Sumners book with respect to the sources, I do not recall black under the usual battle circumstances.

The pteryges are oddly shaped and over the armor as mentioned above is not really seen in any artistic sculpture.

The sword of that legionary is rather large for it to be a pompeii style gladius-no? Of course it could also be a spatha? If not, it really is big for a Pompeii style gladius. Just look at the pommel. That thing is huge. However, if the movie is based in the second century, were not some of those pommels a little larger than the 1st C AD.

However, I do not look at a movie for historical accuracy of the armor because as has been pointed out, certain features must remain irrespective of how wrong or right they may be to continue the usual iconic appearence of a Roman soldier so that people can identify who the Roman is.

As Matt said, hopefully, the movie will be good.

As far as the helmet is concerned, it is an invisible force field around the centurios head. It has a Robinson classification of E.T. Come on guys, did you not know that in battle a centurion was identified by not wearing a helmet. All jokes aside, may be he lost it during battle or has just taken it off to show the ladies in the audience his manly expression after battle.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pic from movie "Centurion", what say the experts? - by Doc - 03-19-2010, 11:10 PM