Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze Armorers!
Are there any folk near Pittsburgh, Pa, USA who can work with bronze?

I got my DSC greaves and they need major tweaks - way past my skillset. Rats. I so wanted to wear them for upcoming events...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Khaire!

Well, I'm not near Pittsburgh, but if you're planning to come to the parade in Baltimore this Sunday (March 21), I can bring some tools along and see what might be done. Could even toss my anvil in the back of the minivan. Presumably they're too big around? That would mostly mean squashing them down to the right circumference, and possibly trimming the back edges. Any other problem with them?

Just lemme know before Sunday, unless you get help from someone else before then. Good luck!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm doing the Parade. Today I'm seeing an "oldtimer" in the neighborhood autobody shop. He's gonna take a look at them. They seem to have gotten squished front to back in shipping. They grab about half back on my calves with hang points on my kneecaps and ankles. The front camber is gone, so they won't seat properly. There seems to be the right circumference, but the "oval" cross-section is going the wrong way. I'll give this guy a shot (at least he knows what an English wheel is - his younger co-workers did not). If it doesn't work, they will probably need to be annealed before more is done to them. They are "springy", now, and will stiffen with work...

I'll keep you posted.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Update:

The greaves will be stripped down next week. Heat treating is the first course of action. The metal needs to move and is too stiff right now. At least I found a metalworker who is intrigued by the rework project. He can't wreck 'em - I already can't wear 'em.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Yup, got your email. Your smith knows not to work the metal hot, right? Just heat and quench, then work cold.

Why did we have to pick this era? EVERYTHING is hard to make!! The most complicated helmet ever made, the most complicated and finicky greaves, complicated shield, complicated sword, and we're still arguing about the armor, gads... I know, I know: "Reenacting is like a cat toy--it's no fun unless it's a little annoying!"

Khaire,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Any news on this project? Were they able to be reworked or have they joined the great greave graveyard in the sky?
Peter Raftos
They are beat to crap and one is torn at a weld joint across the whole piece. I gave them to the metal artist/SCA armorer who is working on custom greaves for me. They are partial payment and probably go into a mixed metal art piece some day. The custom greaves are a learning process for him. I will post a full essay on their development (with pics) when they are done. One is close, the other, not so much. I am excited, they will fit like a glove - err - stocking. I am in charge of polishing and lining them (to save labor costs). We burnished a few square inches to see what that looked like. I'm leaning in that direction - I like shiny and gleaming! Greek bling is all the rage, doncha know!
Cheryl Boeckmann
If you want to be really authentic, there is a description of making a polishing paste-- mix lard, ash, and sandy clay together. I do not know how much of what to what. The more sandy the clay, the more coarse the polish.

You might also read something on the process of polishing a samurai sword. It is a complicated process, and you do not need to go to the lengths the Japanese smiths went to though. However, some of the materials may be useful and can be purchased from dealers. The tecnique gives a whole new perspective to a polishing and finishing process without the availability of modern machinery. (On a side note: many people do not know that the finish on a real samurai sword can be damaged permanenty by natural oils in the finger. The usual thing someone does when handling a sword is mess it up with finger prints. Then they pose with the point to the ground, whic can ruin it. Never ever try to sharpen one. You can turn a $5000 sword into one worth $500 in a matter of seconds. I include this because many original and historic pieces are ruined each year and can never be replaced. This is if you ever run into one.)

I have used microfiber sheets for polishing bronze. You might look at this site: http://www.riogrande.com/Default.aspx . Also, when you hammer any copper alloy, which is done cold, there is a case hardening effect. This quality is deliberate with actual ancient armor, and is what gives it the protective property. It is easy to polish through this with too much abrasive and that weakens the metal, which is a considration with any sheet. This more noticable in bronze than brass. Yea, you dont need the protective property of case hardening, but it is a consideration with retention of the spring of the metal.

Ralph
Thanks, looking forward to the outcome.
Peter Raftos
Alright! We're getting close to finished greaves! I can post the photo essay soon. Does anyone remember how big (little) the photos have to be to comply with forum rules and regs? The digital photos are huge and need to be shrunk to XX by XX (XX kilobytes)... I can't find the old attachment FAQs and the new ones are up yet. Thanks.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Quote:Why did we have to pick this era? EVERYTHING is hard to make!! The most complicated helmet ever made, the most complicated and finicky greaves, complicated shield, complicated sword, and we're still arguing about the armor, gads... I know, I know: "Reenacting is like a cat toy--it's no fun unless it's a little annoying!"

ROFL - (The cat toy comment) Greeky stuff is hard! :lol:
MARCVS VELIVS AVITVS (Reid Neilsen)
LEGIO VII GEMINA FELIX
"SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERUDITIONIS HABES"

http://www.whitemountainforge.com