Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organization of the Foederatus
Ave Civitas,

I was wondering about the organization of the barbarian Foederatus. They were, I believe, used to augment the strength of the Roman army.

What I was wondering was, when they were "called to duty" were they organized into cohorts like the army was?

I would assume that there was a Roman officer assigned as a liaison, would that be true in all instances of their being called to Active Duty?

Just things that were rolling around in my head.

Thanks

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I would that this depended of the form of the foedus. Laeti and dedititii would simply supply men of the right age to the army, depending on the form of the treaty. Other groups could form units that defended their 'section' of the frontier, no doubt under Roman officers.

If more 'manpower' was needed, Roman recruitment officers would be sent to barbarian regions, and the groups or individuals that answered the call would serve as mercenaries for an amount of time.

Later (later 4th c.) such groups would remain inside the borders, serving under their own leaders, to be called upon when needed. It was a group like this under Alaric the Goth that most wanted to change their federate status to that of a regular army.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Valerius,

Thank you very much. I read about the foederatus in Pat Southern's THE ROMAN ARMY, and she wrote that very little was known about their composition and command structure. I was hoping I would find more here.

I did. Thanks again.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legion organization and Organization Charts Lothia 11 3,424 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell